Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New computer wont turn on

• Please log in to reply

scatfly

scatfly

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I built a new PC with all new parts. I placed everything in the case and when i hit power nothing happened. There is no metal spacers or anything of the sort touching the motherboard that would prevent it from starting up. The cpu is AMD 2900, 512 ram, geforce 64 mb video card, 120 GB hardrive. All components are brand new! here is a link for more info on the components:

http://www.tigerdire.....u=C460-1022 M

thanks.

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
when you say nothing, do mean nothing at all? no fans spun up, no power to drives, no lights on mobo, etc.
if that is the case, first check the power switch on the back of the power supply, make sure it is set to the 1 position.
if that is set, and power up didnt start from the from start button, check to make sure you have the power button lead in the right place on the board.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Remove all the drives you just want to try and get a post screen and enter bios at this point.
Remove all cards, except video
Install only one stick of ram in dimm 1
Check all the mobo jumpers are set correctly especially the clear cmos jumper, make sure it is on pins 1&2.
Check the connections from the psu to the mobo, make sure the 4 pin 12v is connected.
Make sure the cpu fan is connected to the correct header on the mobo.
Connect only the case switch and case speaker, no usb or front panel audio.

Power on, is there any beeps? Can you boot into bios?
If no go try the above but remove the mobo from the case and place on a piece of cardboard.

Rick

scatfly

scatfly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I cant find the p4 power on the motherboard. I figured this was the reason but i also figured that they wouldnt sell a mobo without something that is necesary.

scatfly

scatfly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
There is no movement in the PC when i hit the power button, no fans or anything else. Would the placement of the jumpers affect if it would power on or not? cause i moved one not knowing what its use was. thanks

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
it sounds like the power on button is not seated correctly on the mobo.
Im hoping the manual was included with the motherboard. this will have all the pin locations, how to set it up, etc. truly necessary when building a new system.
if you dont have it, you can download it from the manufacturers website.
keep us posted.

scatfly

scatfly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
ok...i got it on. The jumper was in the wrong spot. but now it wont go to the cmos or bios menu. is this also jumpers? thanks

scatfly

scatfly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
it actually may be going to cmos/bios but my monitor is just coming up with the self test box thast bounces around. I pulled out my video card then put it back in and tried a dif monitor. Neither worked. Thanks

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
does your video card need a power connector?

is there onboard video on that mobo? if so, connect to that first. if not, make sure card is seated firmly, has power if needed.

scatfly

scatfly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
there is a small plug in thing but the card didnt come with any cords

Advertisements

scatfly

scatfly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
i think there also might be onboard video on the mobo but i dont know how to connect to that. It says my mobo has nVidia nForce2 Ultra 400 chipset if that means onboard. also in the graphics card instructions it says nothing about pluggin any plugs in...only the card in agp port.

Edited by scatfly, 13 May 2005 - 06:48 PM.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
I took a look at your system stuff from the link you provided. no onboard video, no extra power plug on the video card.
make sure the card is seated all the way down into the AGP slot. see if the manual for the mobo says anything about starting up for the first time, or troubleshooting a video problem.
at this point, try to start it up with just the processor and hsf, ram, and video. you should see the initial POST screen, and be able to get into BIOS.

scatfly

scatfly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I tried all that you mentioned above and am still getting nothing on the monitor. should i get a guy from chaintec to come out cause i have a warranty for it. thanks for all the help

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
yeah, that might be your best bet now. at least contact them about this, it looks like it might be a bad video card.
post back with what they say, or if you get a replacement, etc. would like to know what it turns out to be.

scatfly

scatfly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
i tried a dif video card in my agp slot and it still didnt work. So i think i might just buy a pci express card. is this a good idea or should i just get a whole new replacement mobo.