Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer PC's - good or bad?

• Please log in to reply

Fox07

Fox07

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
My trusty Packard Bell desktop finally died the other day and I was looking for another Packard Bell to replace it with but couldn't find one because they were either too cheap or too expensive. I saw an Acer 7200 advertised in the comet sale and the reviews I saw were good but then I asked on another forum what PC everyone had and they said that Acer laptops were rubbish and I'm wondering if this goes for desktops too. :) The problem is that we have just bought one tonight from Comet :) although it's still boxed up because I haven't time to set it up yet. I think I could probably return it if I wanted so just thought I would check what people thought of them.

Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place but I didn't know where to post it. :)

Edited by Fox07, 10 August 2009 - 04:05 PM.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Acer is the #1 notebook seller in the world. I've never used one, but I'd say they'd have to be at least halfway decent to become #1 in the world.

As for desktops, they're #3 in the world in that regard, behind HP and Dell. Again, you'd have to think they make decent computers to have such success. I'm not a fan of pre-built computers, but Acer is just as good as the others.

I guess my whole point is that Acer isn't a brand name to be scared of.

Since you're a fan of Packard Bell, it might interest you that Acer has owned Packard Bell since early 2008.

Fox07

Fox07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Thank you for your fast reply. :)

Oh that's good to hear that they aren't that bad after all. :) I was a bit worried. I can't buy one that isn't pre built because I wouldn't have a clue where to get one built. My sister had one built at a small shop near where her husband works a few years ago and when she tried to register it, it wasn't a licenced one so she wouldn't have been able to get any updates or anything and she paid quite a bit for it so it's sort of put me off getting one built really. She returned it and got most of her money back and then went to PC World and bought one from there instead. If I knew someone I trusted then I would but unfortunately I don't.