Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Major problems after Windows updates installed!

• Please log in to reply

TeeJay007

TeeJay007

• Pip
  • 8 posts
This is a disaster... I have no clue how this happened. It seems like some freak thing. This is EXACTALLY what happened last night...

I was on my laptop.. surfing the internet doing normal every day things. I go to turn off my laptop and before I 'shut down' my computer prompted me that windows needed to install some new updates for windows XP. I thought, no problem... I do it frequently. After the updates were installed the laptop shut down. I turned on my laptop the next morning, tried to log onto my account and it said there was an error loading personal settings for my user profile, I logged onto guest user, then restarted my computer. I tried to log onto my user account again after restarting and everything went smoothly this time...NOT. My background desktop picture was not there, about 8-10 user icons missing, cookies cleared, temp internet files cleared, ALL of my pictures and ALL of my music GONE. I tried to look at my program files and it said all the files were hidden. I start up MoZilla and it starts acting like I've never used it before; all bookmarks were cleared and it kept prompting me to take a tour of MoZilla like I've never used it before. Im freaking out... there is a lot of information missing. This all happened after I let the updates install for Windows XP. Any help guys?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you try system restore yet...
1.Click Start.

2.Point to All Programs.

3.Point to Accessories.

4.Point to System Tools.

5.Click System Restore.

6.Follow the instructions on the wizard.

click on pick a date in bold...one at least a week before you started having problems...then click b]next[/b]

TeeJay007

TeeJay007

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Even bigger problems on my hands now... I turned on my laptop this afternoon only to find the blue screen of death. I cant even get into safe mode... as soon as I turn the laptop on it goes right to the blue screen with the 'stop errors'

Now im really lost... =(

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
then a repair is in order...go here for the how to guide...