Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need more RAM!

• Please log in to reply

Gregg123

Gregg123

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Hi Guys,
I need to beef up the RAM on my laptop - can you give me some advice on the cheapest place around to get it.

Also, when I have it - what the [bleep] do I do with it? Is it easy to change - all I know is I have 2 slots both of which are used at the moment, I just need to upgrade them (I don't actually know where the slots are!!).

Is this really complicated - should I get someone to help me with this?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Advertisements

SalomonXM

SalomonXM

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi Gregg123,

I do see that on your profile you are from Portugal and your Operating System is Windows 98.

Please verify that your Laptop is currently using Windows 98; if not, please reply with what operating system you are currently utilizing. Windows 98 supports 512MB of RAM whereas the latest operating systems can support between 2-4GB of RAM.

If you are currently in Portugal, I would suggest you go to a local computer store and also see if they can help you install the RAM modules. Shipping from some North American e-tailers would make it very expensive due to shipping. If not, please reply with where you are currently residing.

In your reply, please inform me of what Operating System you are currently using, what country you are in, and what Laptop model you have. I will wait for your reply to help you further.

Gregg123

Gregg123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Hi,
Thanks for your help :) .

I am using Windows XP Home, I am based in Portugal (although I spend a lot of time in the UK as well - I am here at the moment), and my laptop is Toshiba Satellite A25 S279.

I have visited the Crucial scanner, and I know the best I can do is double up from 512 to 1Gb - but as I said no idea what to do if I bought it from there, or if they are expensive or not.

Ez2c

Ez2c

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
EDITED: Incorrect Information

Edited by Ez2c, 12 August 2009 - 03:43 AM.

SalomonXM

SalomonXM

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi Gregg123,

Thank you for the information you have provided.

You are correct that the Toshiba Satellite A25 S279 supports a max of 1GB of DDR SO-DIMM Memory.
A quick search for UK Computer Part sellers gives me Misco.co.uk ; The URL to their list of Notebook RAM that is DDR SO-DIMM is available at Misco Notebook DDR SO-DIMM

As I am not from the United Kingdom, I am unable to give you more details of local stores or if the local pricing is good or not. Doing a currency conversion to Canadian Dollars, the price of the "Crucial 512MB DDR PC2700 SO-DIMM, Unbuffered DDR3" at Misco seem seem very reasonable.

A guide on how to install the Memory yourself is avalible at Toshiba A25 Memory Install Guide

Sorry for not being able to provide more details.

Gregg123

Gregg123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Brilliant - thanks for the advice! I will give it a go, & report back!!

Gregg123

Gregg123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
I do have one question - when I remove the memory module, will anything reset or will I lose any information?

Cheers.