Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IBM ThinkCentre Drivers, Help!

• Please log in to reply

bluecanadian19

bluecanadian19

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi, I was given a IBM ThinkCentre from my brother-in-law, after he had wiped it clean (Accounting Computer) and told me he had installed everything I needed on it. I tried to connect it to the internet and realized that not all the drivers were installed. I went to the IBM website to download the drivers I need, I think they installed them self when I ran them, and I still have these drivers missing. I have been looking around for the drivers, but I have only found 2(I think). Device Manager says I'm missing:

Ethernet Controller
Multimedia Audio Controller
SM Bus Controller
Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller (Apperently in SP1 or SP4)
Unknown device
Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

They are all unkown devices can't even tell you who they're from. There are no PCI cards or anything, its all motherboard. I downloaded the program UnknownDevices from halfdone.com to see what devices they were. Thats how I found the Ethernet (Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet)and Intel® 82801BA/CA PCI Bridge - 244E (not sure what that is) The rest is from Intel but all I have to go with is the VEN_8086 and DEV_XXXX (they all differ). I have no idea how to search with those, I tried at Intel.

My Specs are:
Model: IBM 81434WU ThinkCentre (not sure which version ie M51 A50)
XP Pro 2002 no SP's
Intel Pentium 4
504MB ram

UnknownDevices says I need:
PCI standard host CPU Bridge, VEN_8086 DEV_2580
Video Controller, VEN_8086 DEV_2582
PCI standard ISA Bridge, VEN_8086 DEV_2640
SM Bus Controller, VEN_8086 DEV_266A
Multimedia Audio Controller, VEN_8086 DEV_266E

Not sure if this is what I need but google found it. Intel 915G/P/GV Processor to I/O Controller - 2580, XP 32 bit. Can't find that anywhere, and there are to many files that kinda look like that at Intel. Don't know what to download.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Advertisements

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Hi there :)

I like http://www.DriverGuide.com for hard-to-find drivers. You should be able to find anything you need there. Registration is free.

bluecanadian19

bluecanadian19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks NeonFx, I went to the website and joined to look, but I couldn't use the information that I have to fine the drivers. My main problem is that I do not know the models of the components that are not working. They are unknown to device manager.
The program I used only gave me PNP ID's, and "Unknown Device from IBM""Unknown Chipset from Intel" that's all I have to go on.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Oh, i'm sorry. Short of opening up the computer to see exactly what it has have you tried going into the device manager (Start > Run > devmgmt.msc > OK) and right clicking on each malfunctioning device to select "Uninstall" and then downloading and installing ALL the drivers from the appropriate page HERE ?

Edited by NeonFx, 11 August 2009 - 10:03 PM.

bluecanadian19

bluecanadian19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have uninstalled all the malfunctioning devices and then reinstalled the drivers from the Lenovo website. I then restarted my computer and a "found new hardware wizard" has popped up to help install software for "unknown". The drivers I installed or ran went to C:\IBMTOOLS\drivers. Do I need to run them from there at all. My computer is open and i can see my motherboard and all, i opened it to see if I could find model types or #'s, but sadly don't know where they are.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Using the "found new hardware" wizard is the same as installing them manually if you point the wizard to the appropriate locations. You might have to select the option to "choose which drivers to use" option or something along those lines.

bluecanadian19

bluecanadian19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks alot, I think I got it working, well started, I pointed the wizard to the driver location for the ethernet, and it did install. I just got to do it for the rest of the devices. Thanks so much for your time. I still need help with the "unknown" device tho, just wish I knew what it was.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
I really don't know what that might be.

If you download all the drivers for your computer and put them in one location, when the wizard comes up for your "unknown" device and you point it to that location it might figure that out for you.

Note: You can also start the wizard manually by going to Start > Control Panel > Add Hardware

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Oh, and if you got the internet to work, your computer might be able to find the drivers online. It does this if you select "search for the drivers automatically" or something like that in the "found new hardware wizard"

bluecanadian19

bluecanadian19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you very much again. I did use these drivers before I posted, I just thought they would have installed themselves. Since they didn't I figured I downloaded the wrong drivers. Just needed to tell it where to look for them. The unknown fixed it self with the chipset .exe. Now I'm installing service packs to get my USB. Thanks again much appreciated.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
You're very welcome :)

Once you get that sorted out, use IE and hop on over to http://update.microsoft.com to check for the latest updates. If you choose "Custom" instead of "Express" you will get a list of all the updates available for your computer, and among the optional (hardware) updates you will typically find updates for all the drivers installed on your system.

Let me know how it turns out.

bluecanadian19

bluecanadian19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
It's turning out great, updates are being installed right now, then its just installing programs. No more problems, thanks again, saved me alot of time.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
:)