Hi Rich and welcome to the forums here at G2G!
Let's first try the renamed combofix to see if it will run. Make sure to rename before downloading, or download on another PC, rename, and copy it over. It may not run but that's okay, we'll go to plan "b" if so.Please read through the instructions to familiarize yourself with what to expect when the tool runs.It is vitally important that combofix is renamed before it is even started to download
Please download ComboFix from Here
to your Desktop.**Note: In the event you already have Combofix, this is a new version that I need you to download. It is important that it is saved directly to your desktop**
- If you are using Firefox, make sure that your download settings are as follows:
-Set to "Always ask me where to Save the files".
- During the download, rename Combofix to Combo-Fix as follows:
- It is important you rename Combofix during the download, but not after.
- Please do not rename Combofix to other names, but only to the one indicated.
- Close any open browsers.
- Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. Note: If you are having difficulty properly disabling your protective programs, or are unsure as to what programs need to be disabled, please refer to the information available through this link : How to Disable your Security Programs
- Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.Close all other windows/browser first.
**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.
- As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
- Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.
Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:
Click on Yes
, to continue scanning for malware.
When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt
in your next reply.Notes:
1.Do not mouse-click Combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.
2. Do Not
run combofix more than once. If you have problems please post back for further instructions.
3.CF disconnects your machine from the internet. The connection is automatically restored before CF completes its run. If CF runs into difficulty and terminates prematurely, the connection can be manually restored by restarting your machine.
Please post back with the combofix log.
Edited by IndiGenus, 12 August 2009 - 10:49 AM.