Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New to Gaming... Some Questions.

• Please log in to reply

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi everyone,

I've never really played a PC Game before. I thought I would give it a try. I have a powerful enough computer (See Signature) to play just about anything I would assume. I only went with a 9600GT because I didn't game, well, now I thought I would give it a try and see how it goes. I have downloaded 4 games that are free just to get my feet wet and see which kind of games I like the most.

F.E.A.R. Combat
Savage 2: Tortured Soul
Ferrari Virtual Race (I like racing games haha)
Nitto 1320

First Question: What are your thoughts about using a console game controller for any of these games? I think I would like it better. Can you give me any inside info on that?
I was looking at this one. CLICK HERE As you will notice, very similar to an XBOX 360 Controller, made for the PC.

Second Question: What are your feelings about AION vs WoW? I think if I seem to like that sort of game, I would want to pay for and play one of them. Any thoughts on that would be great.

Third Question: Crysis vs. CoD. What are the differences? I'm sure Crysis wins in the graphics department, but I have a cousin that has a 62nd ranked server for CoD and I would love to be able to play with him. Can I have your thoughts on those games in comparison as well?

Fourth Question: Is there any certain local retail stores that offer the best prices on games and accessories? I live in St. Louis USA. Or, how about online? Like Newegg maybe?

I don't have the money to just go out and start buying games, so that's why I"m here and why I'm doing a trial run with the FREE games. I'm sure the ones you pay for are much better. Thanks, and I look forward to your response.

J.R.

Advertisements

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi everyone,

I've never really played a PC Game before. I thought I would give it a try. I have a powerful enough computer (See Signature) to play just about anything I would assume. I only went with a 9600GT because I didn't game, well, now I thought I would give it a try and see how it goes. I have downloaded 4 games that are free just to get my feet wet and see which kind of games I like the most.

F.E.A.R. Combat
Savage 2: Tortured Soul
Ferrari Virtual Race (I like racing games haha)
Nitto 1320

First Question: What are your thoughts about using a console game controller for any of these games? I think I would like it better. Can you give me any inside info on that?
I was looking at this one. CLICK HERE As you will notice, very similar to an XBOX 360 Controller, made for the PC.

Second Question: What are your feelings about AION vs WoW? I think if I seem to like that sort of game, I would want to pay for and play one of them. Any thoughts on that would be great.

Third Question: Crysis vs. CoD. What are the differences? I'm sure Crysis wins in the graphics department, but I have a cousin that has a 62nd ranked server for CoD and I would love to be able to play with him. Can I have your thoughts on those games in comparison as well?

Fourth Question: Is there any certain local retail stores that offer the best prices on games and accessories? I live in St. Louis USA. Or, how about online? Like Newegg maybe?

I don't have the money to just go out and start buying games, so that's why I"m here and why I'm doing a trial run with the FREE games. I'm sure the ones you pay for are much better. Thanks, and I look forward to your response.

J.R.

don't use the console controller to play fps'S games,that is very diffcult to use :)

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I like to consider myself a "hardcore" PC gamer (I have my best computer dedicated solely to PC gaming, and I own at least 100 PC games :)), so let's see if I can help:

Personally, one of the main reasons I'm a PC gamer, rather than a console gamer (I do own an N64, though... I really wanted to play Zelda. :)), is that the PC's controls (keyboard and mouse) are much, much better suited to most games. However, I do use a wired Xbox 360 controller for racing games (GRID), sports games (Madden NFL 08, NBA Live 08), and third-person action games (Prince of Persia, Assassin's Creed). Yes, you read that right, I use a regular old Xbox 360 controller, not a special PC controller. An Xbox 360 controller is compatible with most PC games, and usually has better integration than PC controllers (ie. The game will recognize the Xbox 360 controller and say "hit X", but with a generic PC controller, it might say "hit button_undefined" or something).

I'm not a fan of games with monthly fees. I'd rather get a new PC game every month than pay $15 every month for the same game (as a new PC gamer, you'll be able to find plenty of quality games you've never played for under $15). There are plenty of great non-multiplayer RPGs, as well. My favorites would be Fallout 3, Mass Effect, Oblivion, and Knights of the Old Republic.

Which CoD are you referring to? CoD, CoD:UO, CoD2, CoD4:MW, or CoD:WaW? And were you referring to Crysis or Crysis Warhead? :) As you may have noticed, I've linked every game I've mentioned so far to metacritic.com, which averages many reviews into one score. I'd look there if you want an idea of how good a game is. Personally, I like the CoD series better than the Crysis games. My favorite of the CoD series would have to be CoD4:MW. It has the best multiplayer of any shooter I've ever played, and its single player campaign also ranks among the best with me (with Bioshock being the only one that beats it, though Half-Life 2 also comes close).

It's all about finding deals. I never buy a PC game full price. The best source for video gaming deals is CAG.

Hope that helped. :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I don't think you could have been anymore thorough. :) I really appreciate your answer. It has helped a lot, and I think you are right about the games being better suited to the keyboard. I played FEAR Combat tonight for the first time and it was fun, I tried configuring the X axis Y axis, etc to a Generic controller my brother had for his PS3. Ummm, that didn't work out so well. haha.

Anyway, I have not visited all the links yet, but I surely will. Your answer is pretty much exactly what I was looking for: A point in the right direction. Thank you very much.

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
in the WoW vs Aion debate..

I played WoW for only a couple of months(ok several months.. but not quite a year's time). During that time i made almost every char imaginable. and got them all up to a decent lvl. It was just enought to really sample all the different kinds of chars and ecplore different strengths and weaknesses. While I enjoyed WoW.. it didnt hold my attention as well as some other MMO's i have played. I actually enjoy the day-to-day grind.. I played a game called Flyff for a very long time(would still be playing it but i cant get it to load on my computer again and their customer support has gone to [bleep].. sorry i have a strong feeling of their recent customre service). Flyff was not pure grind but close too it. The quests you did kept you interested but you werent dependent on them to level. In WoW you have to do the quests because you get to little exp from simply grinding.

Aion, however, seems to give a balance to grinding and questing. you get large amounts of exp from the quests and at the same time you get a decent amount per kill, or at the least it is that way for the beginner levels(I haven't made it to higher levels yet). I have leveled a couple of chars up to the lvl 15-20 range one was in almost pure grinding and the other in almost pure questing(of course questing requires a bit of grinding too to get those quest items...) Both took roughly the same amount of time. Grinding was a bit slower from lvl to level but questing involved ALOT of walking and flying from here to there.. Aion gives a good balance and is Metal Gear Solid 4 where it offers two ways to play the game: grind or quest, or do a combo of both. (I was both sneaky sniper and rush in and kill everything my first time through MTS4, now i sneak everywhere)

You have to commend NCSoft for spending the time to create a game that will fit all players. there is a class for everyone and every style. Rush in and tank or sit back destroy. Or you can go priest and heal and buff.. what ever suits you. You can grind or quest. You can make money from questing or trading or selling everything. Just depends on your style and how you want to play.

WoW had some of the same features.. but i think, once the full version of Aion is released and it startes to get the attention that WoW got, it will take over WoW, or at least give it a superior run for its money..

just my 2 cents though.. take it or leave it.. xD

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Thanks for that info. That actually helps me a lot because I'm the type to probably just grind, and not even do the quests lol. I assume grind means just connecting and playing for fun / going around fighting people just to fight them. Even back in my Nintendo days, I wasn't to much for quests, I just want to play the game, like Street Fighter, or Halo's Capture the Flag, etc.

FEAR Combat is awesome for being free. I highly recommend that to anyone looking for a good free game. No quests/journeys, whatever you call them, just capture the flag, every man for themselves, etc. Its really fun. Just shoot em up! :)

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
Well actually by grind i meant constantly killing monsters. sometimes just for fun sometimes to get lvls.. sometimes to get items.. whatever the case may be...

fighting other players is still pvp even if it is just for the heck of it. I think that is what you meant but in my mindset the way you phrased it sounded like you were thinking of something different. perhaps im just wierd.. lol

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I'm saying I don't really want to achieve anything, I just like to swing the sword or shoot the gun and cause as much damage as possible. I was shooting players on my own team in FEAR Combat yesterday(on purpose) :)

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
ha.. yea sometimes that is pretty fun.. especially when you know others will retaliate. I have done that on CoD4: MW on the xbox on a junk trial account and on my brothers account just because a bunch of them were doing it to me and i got pissed off at trying to actually play the game.. so instead of playing the game we all decided to see who could get the worst score before time ran out... lol

MrFish

MrFish

• Pip
  • 7 posts
WoW is overrated. I love MMORPGs (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games) but that one wasn't very fun. I think it's just well advertised why it's so popular. If you're looking for a free mmorpg there are plenty of great ones. Just because something costs doesn't make it good. The downfall of free mmorpgs is that some of them have "Item Malls". That's where you can use real money to by in-game items. When it first came out it was for harmless things like clothing and teleportation. Now-a-days it can usually buy your way to victory. A 10 year old with a big allowance trumps your perfected strategies any day.

Free FPS I recommend-

Savage 2:
Looks like you already have it. I think this game is simply awesome! It deprives a free gamer of some almost necessary features (like player stats) but it's a ONE TIME $10 fee (yes that means forever :)). So I would be upset about that but $10 one time fee seems like a good deal to me.

Tremulous:
Underrated and not well known. It's built off the quake 3 engine (but I didn't like quake 3). Two teams, aliens vs humans. A bit generic but makes up in gameplay. What I really like about this game-

-Killing aliens/humans gives you money/evolution points. With it you can buy armor and weapons or evolve into better aliens.
-You can spawn as a builder and build all kinds of stuff like turrets. Humans have the biggest advantage in their building department, but it makes up for their squishy vulnerable bodies.
-OPEN SOURCE! This means there are all kinds player-owned servers that make their own mods. Adding gameplay features, weapons, aliens, graphics. Makes it a lot of fun :)
-You can make your own maps. Think it would be fun to battle inside the White House? Why not?! I'm currently working on a mario64 map myself.
http://tremulous.net...p?topic=11609.0

If your looking for an mmorpg (like WoW) you should visit some mmorpg portals (as I call them). These are companies that host the games but usually aren't the makers.

http://www.ijji.com/
http://www.aeriagames.com/
http://www.nexon.net/ (DONT play maplestory)

And of course for large list of most mmorpgs out there with rating included as well as payment information.
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm

I do like going through the portals as well though.

One game that has been getting really popular lately is Runes of Magic. It's a lot like WoW but free. I try to stay away from WoW clones though.

Advertisements

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
man i agree completely with mr fish.. wow is too over rated. like i mentioned, i played a mmorpg called flyff for the longest time(since may 2004) and only recently quit playing because of the recent poor customer service. It is still a great game but gpotato(the devs) are looking more at thier cash shop, or item mall as mr fish put it, than they are looking at fixing actual in game problems...

Gpotato has another game that is pretty decent, and again free, called Rappelz. Graphically it looks very similar to Aion. just not quite the same quality. But for free you certainly cant argue against it.. It has a pretty unique pet system with a nice twist to it.

reflecting again on mr fish's statement.. there are a ton of mmo's to play. Some free some not so free. just google the catch phrase mmo and it'll give you all kinds of results..

--MrFish.. whats up with the dont play maple story part? i have never played it but is it that bad? like runescape? i sure hope not cuz runescape was pretty bad....

edit: something else i just noticed.. Aion is made with the crytec engine.. same as crysis.. so Aion has the potential to run graphics that look like crysis. If you have ever played crysis its graphics are unbeatable. Least i haven't seen any game that renders an environment so beautifully. Whether the game is any good or not makes no difference. If you have a pretty decent gaming rig then getting crysis is a must just to see the graphics... certainly not a waste of time imo.. lol

Edited by SomeCrazyStuff, 17 August 2009 - 10:30 AM.

Perplexus

Perplexus

Lord of the Geeks

• Malware Removal
  • 1,185 posts
I'm just going to weigh in with one thing. I played WOW for 2.5 years. With WOW, and I assume other MMORPGs, you don't just walk in and start fighting other players (PvP) and such. These games are designed for players to "earn" their way. You will spend alot (and I mean ALOT) of time questing, grinding, trading, auctioning, picking herbs, mining ore, etc., etc. And then you will spend more time in the battlegrounds or raiding trying to get better gear. You will spend countless hours, grinding for rings, tokens and such to trade for reputation just to gain favor with a certain group so you can spend your hard earned gold on some specific weapon, talisman or spell. You will either never find a spouse, or lose one depending on your current status.

I've been an avid gamer all my life beginning back in the days of Wizardy on the Apple IIe. Unless you have no job, no school and no life, DO NOT BEGIN THESE GAMES. They will suck the soul right out of you! :)

http://www.google.co...lient=firefox-a

http://www.google.co...lient=firefox-a

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
ha yes they will... but if you just play some of the free mmo's during off hours like i do currently there is no threat. Of course by off hours i mean when your spouse/significant other isn't wanting attention, you are off work, you have no schoolwork to do, there is nothing else pending.

--BTW Perplexus.. i like your gamer pict.. where did you get it? lol

Perplexus

Perplexus

Lord of the Geeks

• Malware Removal
  • 1,185 posts
Yes, I still love the games, but those with an end! I searched high and low for that pic, don't remember where I got it. Do you know who it is?

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
no idea... do you have a larger version?