Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File and Print Sharing between Vista and XP

• Please log in to reply

slreagan

slreagan

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I recently purchased a new desktop computer running Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit edition. It connected to my Linksys router through a wired connection. I installed Linksys Wireless PCI Adapted in the old computer, which is running Windows XP SP3. I can connect to the internet through both machines without any problems. The printer is still connected to the Windows XP machine. I would like to share the printer so that I can print to it from the Vista machine. I tried to setup a home network to do that. I can see the XP machine when I click on Network on the Vista machine, but I cannot access any folders/files/printers on it. When I double click on the XP folder, I get an error saying Windows cannot access it (error code 0x80070035). Both machines have the same workgroup name.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Give This tutorial by SpaceCowboy706 a read, it's got just about everything you'd need to know.