Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

downgrading from vista to xp cam driver not showing

• Please log in to reply

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

no idea what u mean by that, i apologize if things dont communicate well but i do have certain disabilities that effect my ability to process information

Sorry, I was being facetious. I had asked you earlier if there were any "exclamation or question marks" in Device manager and you told me no... twice. It's important to find out details when troubleshooting, so when I saw all those question marks, I made a comment. But... you did notice the smiley, right? I appologize! :)

In any case, I need one last screenshot. What I'm trying to do is verify if a particular driver is installed. This driver affects the USB ports on your computer. I would expect to see a question mark reference to the driver missing, but I don't, so I need to check if Windows just thinks the correct driver is installed when in fact it's not.

Can you please take one more screenshot and post it here, but this time, expand System Devices by clicking on the + sign. You may need to stretch out the window so everything is visible under System Devices before you capture the screenshot.

Advertisements

laurennicole88

laurennicole88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
yea i was looking for the exclamation next to anything for a webcam i didnt think the usb's mattered, that was my error

Posted Image

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Thanks for the photo!

I need to go do some research on the internet to try to find out if the installed Chipset driver is not only correct for this machine, but also correct for XP on this machine.

Would you happen to know if your friend downloaded all the XP drivers from the internet before he installed them, or did he use drivers that were on the Vista driver cd you have? Sometimes Vista drivers will work on XP machines but its not guaranteed and could sometimes cause problems.

It'll take some time to research this... but actually, I need to go to sleep soon too as I work early tomorrow (1:00AM). I'll be sure to return to the thread tomorrow to continue so please stay patient... we'll work this out one way or another.

makai

laurennicole88

laurennicole88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
lol he just tried sending me a bunch of chipset drivers that didnt work and said he couldnt do anything else and i should go back to vista....... but yea he used the cd i got with vista for the drivers, thankyou for ur patients and help, i would like to know for sure that this problem is unfixable before i go back to shista (vista) i also have work early and need to go to bed. thankyou again

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Let me do some research. All indications say it's possible to have XP on your machine. We just have to find all the right stuff. Lets go for it as I too can't stand shista! :)

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well, I did some research and see that many people have been successful in downgrading to XP.

But before we attempt to undo everything you friend did, you have to be warned that it will take quite a bit of time to do this. It may at times be frustrating because there are technical aspects whenever loading an OS onto a computer and some people will lose their patience. I just wanted to point that out. However, that being said, if you were to go back to Vista, you would still need to do basically the same type of set ups... the difference being, you do seem to have all the correct CDs and drivers for Vista, so it wouldn't take as long as installing XP.

Let me ask a few questions...

1) The Chipset drivers your friend sent... did you actually install them?
Drivers from OEM manufactures (like Dell, IBM, HP, etc) are normally compressed applications that will create a folder to uncompress the driver to. It doesn't install anything when it uncompresses, but sometimes people think the driver was installed, when in fact it wasnt. All the Driver package did was create a folder to store the driver into so it can be installed at a later time.

2) Did your friend send you a Chipset driver with the name R153997.EXE?
This is the Chipset driver I'm seeing everywhere as the correct driver for your machine, and this is probably the one that needs to be uncompressed and installed.

3) Do you wish to continue to redo the XP installation?

Edited by makai, 17 August 2009 - 08:34 PM.