Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow-Running Laptop

• Please log in to reply

Elarith

Elarith

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey everyone. I've been running this laptop for somewhere around 18 months, and recently its begun to run exceedingly slow.

-I'm running F-Secure antivirus, which sometimes seems to run an exessive amount of Ram, but not all the time.
the fssm32.exe file in processes tab of the task manager was running a small 20,000K before, now its up around 180,000K as I'm typing this message.
-ASUS Live update creates a C++ runtime error because it asked runtime to close it in an unual manner. This happens everytime the laptop boots, somewhere within 5 to 10 minutes of starting the system. I had time to run hijack this before it closed, if that makes any difference.
Sorry about the broad description of that last one - If you need, I'll restart again and post the exact details of the error next time i boot up.

I've run Hijackthis as soon as I booted the laptop, with nothing else running, or before i ran anything else to try and give you all a clear look at whats running from startup onwards, and hopefully you can see if theres anything running that shouldnt be etc.

If theres anything I've left out, let me know.
Thankyou all in advance for all of your help :)

System specs are as follows:
Asus F3Lseries Laptop
CPU: Duo T2370
RAM: 2 GB
HDD: 250 GB
Running on Windows XP Pro
Graphic: Intel Int. GMA X3100 Gfx

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit? and welcome to G2G!

I also have an ASUS notebook and I experienced system freezes when the ASUS live update tried to run. I would remove that from the Add/Remove program control panel and run basic maintenance 1st, (disk clean up of temp files, error check and defrag).

After those steps, see if there's any improvement. I assume your F-Secure is up to date with no errors?

Hope this helps..