Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Local Connection Unplugged (jack problem)

• Please log in to reply

shawn1804

shawn1804

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hello everyone, this is my first time in the forums so take it easy on me :)

Well, I have a hp pavilion a305w. Everything works fine on it, except sometimes I get that "local connection unplugged: A network cable is unplugged" dialog, along with that connection symbol with an X. This happens randomly, and it disconnects whenever it feels like it I guess.

The cable IS plugged in, and it is in the right spot. I think the problem is that my jack (or port?) is loose inside the computer. Sometimes I have to rig it and put like a pencil in between the wires to hold it in a steady place. I forgot to mention, I have changed the ethernet cable multiple times, so it isn't that

So my question is, is it possible to tighten that jack in the computer? Or maybe even get a new one? I'm not tech savvy at all, but I was just wondering if this is a real thing and if I could take it to a shop to get it fixed.

Or is there anyway I can somehow disable using this cord and still get connection? This doesn't effect my xbox360 internet connection or my Wii.

Thanks guys!

Edited by shawn1804, 15 August 2009 - 08:07 PM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Will try to take a stab at this as I have had that appear many times on some of my computers. It is/was not a physical cable unplugged. It is just the way to inform you that whatever network you have enabled is no longer able to connect. If you right-click the red-x in the double computer Icon and open it up, you should be able to check the LAN connection(s) and Wi-Fi. If you have more than one enabled, you can only connect to one at a time with the other reporting it is not connected. Likely problem report seems to be "cable unplugged". I disabled all the ones that were not being used by compuer, rebooted and no more red-x.

shawn1804

shawn1804

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hmm I tried that but it doesn't seem to help. I really think there is something physically wrong with the ethernet port. Because when the cord is simply plugged in, it will not work. But when I push the cord up (or bundle a piece of paper like what I'm doing now) it works. It's almost like the cable needs something to keep it tight in it. I have to jiggle something in it to make it work.

I don't know, I'm too afraid to take apart the computer to try it out.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
If you really think it's a physical problem with the ethernet connector, then it is rather cheap to buy a new Network card. Replacing the card should be relatively easy. I think you could find a cheaper one, but this is one I found: Popular HP Pavilion a300 Computer Network Cards and Adapters. Look at those available.

TigerDirect or NewEgg may have one a lot cheaper.

shawn1804

shawn1804

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you sir, that is probably the route I'm going to try. Although I am somewhat confused on how to install them. I don't have to take my computer apart do I?

Well either way, thanks a bunch!

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I have an HP Pavilion and the side cover comes off very easy. Although these instructions are for cleaning, they are still basic ones you need to follow for going inside your computer:

How to Clean the Inside of a HP Pavilion Computer

This may help more:

How To Install a Network Interface Card (NIC)
Network Card NIC replacement installation how to (Video)
Install-Remove-Replace Modem, Video,Audio or Network Card (Video)

Source