Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home Network Suddenly Stopped Working

• Please log in to reply

bobbyesox

bobbyesox

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Last year, I networked my two XP computers using a network cable between the two. It worked fine until a couple of weeks ago....part of the time, the slave computer (right terminology? anyway, not the host), stopped recognizing the internet connection of the host computer. IE: my husband would be online through my computer (the host computer) and suddenly he would be disconnected from the Internet, even though both computers SAY the network is enabled.

My husband could have possible deleted something relevant when trying to get his startup menu "cleaned up" but....I have NO idea what that could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is what we have tried so far:

1) Completely starting over, disconnecting cable, setting up a new connection via the wizard.
2) checked ethernet cards: both say they are working correctly during the times he cannot connect, and when he can
3) plugging and unplugging cable, enabling and re-enabling (with and without soft and hard boots) ... sometimes "something" works, and we think we have a way to work it (even though still have no clue WHY) but the next time that "trick" won't work.
4) checked the system log to see if anything was going on....his computer has an "error" but it doesn't seem to be anything affiliated with the network

It's very frustrating. I'm a writer, work at home, my copmuter is my life. And to have to cnstantly be booting, rebooting, reinstalling, etc. trying to get him online when he needs to be (he's a photographer, doesn't need it as often, but still needs it when he needs it) is driving me NUTS!

Thanks
Bobbye
email removed for users privacy

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Have you recently upgraded to Windows XP SP2? I can't think of anything within the Startup menu that could have caused this. Can you release and renew your IP Address? Do you receieve any error messages?
This could be caused by corrupted winsock entries. To reset your winsock settings to their defaults, goto Start > Run > type: cmd > type: netsh winsock reset -- Restart your computer.

bobbyesox

bobbyesox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm still unable to keep a network connection. At the moment, I can't get it to connect at all. It will occasionally connect, and the 2nd computer can conn4ect to the internet through me. I don't have any idea if it's the total connection that isn't working, or whether it's just not connecting to the 'net through the host computer all the time. Any way to check that? I'm getting SO frustrated!!!!!

I tried the winsock thingie mentioned above (sorry for the tenchical terms *grin*) and it didn't help. But thank you for the suggestion. I DID have SP2, but I deleted it, since it caused so many problems on my system.

BL

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Are you able to share amongst the 2 computers, but just cannot get on the internet with the slave pc? Also you say that your host pc is now only connecting sometimes? Are you positive that you have no malware? Maybe it's a hardware issue. Try connecting the slave pc to the modem and see if it can connect everytime or not. Then try connecting the normal host pc as a slave pc and try that. This would just be to try and narrow down if it is a specific computer, maybe your modem, etc...

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

bobbyesox

bobbyesox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks Johnny,
I can always log onto the net with the host computer....and the client computer can log on via its modem with no difficulties.

I am unable to share anything between the two most of the time...sometimes I get an "access denied" sometimes I get a "behind firewall" and sometimes it just simply doesn't do anything.

At the moment, the client computer is hooked to the 'net through the host computer and all is well....but the next time I have to reboot one or the other, it will likely take me hours and hours to get it to work again. And then I never know what I did that worked! That's the most frustrating part. I go through the "setup network wizard' again, reboot and nothing, then check all settings and reboot and nothing, then for some other reason (non-related) I'll reboot and suddenly the client computer logs on and is online and sharing.

Thanks so much to anyone with suggestions!
BL

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
I used to use Internet Connection Sharing and everytime I rebooted the host computer I had to renew my ip on the client. Like this:

Reboot host. Now when it's booted up go to client and click start, run and type cmd press enter. Now type ipconfig /renew remember to put a space between ipconfig and /renew. This will renew your ip address and enable you to use the internet. Now if this happens when you reboot the client then I would be completely stumped because that would not make sense to me under normal circumstances anyways. Let me know.

bobbyesox

bobbyesox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Johnny,
I used the run - cmd - ipconfib /renew

and was told that ......... "this operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissable for this operation"

Ideas?

Bobbye

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Go to Control Panel, System, click the Hardware Tab at the top. Click the Device Manager button. Now scroll down the list until you see Network Adapters. Expand it and right click your network card and click uninstall. Now reboot the computer. When windows reboots it will say it "Found New Hardware" Let it install the network card and then try ipconfig /release press enter the type ipconfig /renew and press enter and try again.

bobbyesox

bobbyesox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks so much Johnny. This finally seems to work, although it's pretty frustrating having to do this so often! Any ideas why it's "corrupting" or whatever it is that it's doing? For now, it's just nice to have a "fix"!