Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Login Problem

• Please log in to reply

Luke1988

Luke1988

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
hi,

i have recently cleaned a trojan virus from my computer after it closed all applications and restarted to the BSOD.

i had to boot in safe mode to remove the virus which seemed to work at first. i also ran a full spyware scan.

since then if i boot normally there is no login box for me to type the my username and password at the windows login screen. the login box does return if i boot in safe mode or safe mode with networking.

Thanks for any help
**Luke**

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You have a open Malware topic HERE.
Please follow through with that and if the problem still exist after they are done the return here and we will assist you.

When you boot into normal mode does the system boot into windows or not?
If it does then you may just need to adjust your user account settings to allow for password and username login.

Luke1988

Luke1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
sorry about the late reply. yes it does boot into windows but i cant logon to change any account settings.

thanks **Luke**

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try going to the Boot Menu and logging into Safe Mode
This will log you into the Administrator account where you can then go into accounts and change the way users log in.
Again since this all started with a infection I would suggest you follow the steps I described in my last post as this fix may not work if there is still a active infection in your system