Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble getting access to my files with 'distros'..

• Please log in to reply

syllacrostics

syllacrostics

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have tried using Puppy Linux on a CD to access my computer's HD before reformatting. The CD I created does work because I tried it on a different computer to make sure it was working properly first. However when I attempt to load it on the problem computer it does not get past the Loading Kernel Modules stage. I assume this means that Puppy Linux will not work on that computer. I am wondering if any other program of this kind will work on that computer (and if so, which one?) or not. Alternative ways of accessing my files would also be helpful. As it is I cannot access the HD any other way (problem loading Windows installation files due to a conflict that I can't rectify) and I would rather not re-format the disc because it has everything on it.

- thanks

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you might have a problem with your ram or CPU or the mobo itself and if puppy won't run none of the live cd's will work either...
remove the hard drive and slave it to a working computer to get the data off the drive...
after backing up your data...
try running chkdsk /r on the drive while its still connected to the working computer...run it several times until it doesn't find or fix any errors...then reinstall it back in the old computer and try booting up