Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezing very often, now won't start

• Please log in to reply

phatjo911

phatjo911

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Hi, I have a PC that I built myself about 2 years ago.

Recently, it started crashing very often. Like it might crash as soon as it goes to desktop after booting, or might crash at the start up "GIGABYTE ( motherboard ) screen.

About 5 minutes ago, I tried turning it on, and when it goes to the "Microsoft corporation" screen with the small bar moving across, the bar moves very very slowly, then the computer flashes a very quick blue screen, so quick that I cannot see what it says, then dies. It restarts itself.

What should I do?

I need help ASAP, thanks in advance.

P.S. Also, it gives me the option of safe mode, last known configuration, etc but none of those work.

Edited by phatjo911, 17 August 2009 - 09:47 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you can get it to reproduce the BSOD error. it would help.

Start your system and at the Second post screen tap on F8 to get to the Boot Menu
Use the Arrow Keys to Scroll down to the line that says "Auto Start On Error" and highlight it.
Click Enter to disable it
The system should reboot and if not then do so.
When the BSOD shows it will stop so that you can reply with the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

Also when was the last time you opened the system and cleaned the fans..especially the CPU fan?

phatjo911

phatjo911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
O.K., I've never cleaned the fans.
It's an Antec 900 case so it probably gets a load of dust in there

I got a code from the Blue screen of death... it goes

***STOP: 0x0000007E ( 0xC0000005, 0x806991C7, 0xBACC3534, 0xBACC3230 )

Nothing after that,

I am running chkdsk /r right now.
Will the chkdsk/r fix it? I run the /p and it said I had errors, which is why I am using /r.

Thanks, and please reply asap again.

phatjo911

phatjo911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Sigh.... I'm reinstalling windows now... losing all my crap in my hard drive..

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
WAIT!!!!!!! why are you reinstalling and not repairing?
This was not that bad to warrant a format and reinstall.
This error 0x0000007E can be caused by a driver or a hardware corruption

Oeiras

Oeiras

• Pip
  • 8 posts
hi,
i am a new member, from Portugal, and i' must confess i'm a bit scared to b in a forum like this , cause u folks seem to talk a diferent language, in a good way, off course, and my knolage r limited compare to u guys.
Anyways, recently, my machine started to crash very often, after a trojan cript, a think, couse i deleted from Adware,it crash as soon as it goes to desktop after booting,andgives me the option of safe mode, last known configuration, etc but none of those work. My pro is much similar as the one afecting phtjo911, with the same stop message and all.

can anyone help???

cheers

oeiras

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: Oeiras

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system. Thank you for your cooperation.

phatjo911

phatjo911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Thank you staff, I have solved the problems, this topic can now be closed.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you please share how the issue was resolved?
This could help others with the same problem..

Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

phatjo911

phatjo911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I am afraid my solution might not be so practical... I re-installed windows.
But keep in mind that this problem was not my only reason for re-installing, I had various other problems, needed disk space ( can you believe I filled up 400GB??!! ) So I am looking at this as a fresh slate.

But to all of the others, don't be so brash like me lol, take the time and people @ geeks to go will come through for you in the end

Thanks again

Oeiras

Oeiras

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Direct to: Oeiras

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system. Thank you for your cooperation.

Roger that. totally understan,shaffer61, and sorry, i'm just a noob here.

I will do as u said, M8

cheers

oeiras

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I am afraid my solution might not be so practical... I re-installed windows.
But keep in mind that this problem was not my only reason for re-installing, I had various other problems, needed disk space ( can you believe I filled up 400GB??!! ) So I am looking at this as a fresh slate.

But to all of the others, don't be so brash like me lol, take the time and people @ geeks to go will come through for you in the end

Thanks again

Thank you and I'm sorry it came to a fresh install to resolve your issue. That is always the last step we want to do to anyone.
I glad it did fix your problem and that you are back up and running now.