Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop shuts off while installing XP ...

• Please log in to reply

Litmatch21

Litmatch21

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I have my cousin's Compaq Presario CQ50. I was doing a fresh install of XP for him but during the HD formatting the laptop shuts off. I wasn't aware of this issue, but he says that it happens a lot to him. Usually every 45 or so. I've opened the laptop to check out the fan but it's not very dirty at all. I've also removed the battery to no avail. I even tried leaving it in the refrigerator for some time and then, while still remaining in the fridge, attempt the installation. however, it still shuts off. I therefore assume it's not a heat issue. Would this be a motherboard problem? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

lotus8

lotus8

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
do have an external dvd u could try?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Usually every 45 or so.

Do I assume this is in seconds?

I therefore assume it's not a heat issue.

CPUs can shut down in a matter of seconds. It doesn't take very long. Even though you put it in the refrigerator (never heard this one before, but I like it! :) ), it doesn't mean the CPU wouldn't get hot. It could still be a heat problem.

You say you checked out the fan... did you clean it, and do you know for sure it's actually spinning when you power up? Also, sometimes the heatsink can separate from the CPU and not allow very good heat transfer, or when the manufacture built the laptop, they didn't put enough compound, and now the effects are showing up.

By the way, there are quite a few digits missing from the model number you posted. Please post the full model number.

Litmatch21

Litmatch21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

do have an external dvd u could try?

I'm sorry, what for?

Do I assume this is in seconds?

I meant minutes.

You say you checked out the fan... did you clean it, and do you know for sure it's actually spinning when you power up?

I did clean it. The blades had some slight dirt buildup. I can confirm that the fan is spinning.

Also, sometimes the heatsink can separate from the CPU and not allow very good heat transfer, or when the manufacture built the laptop, they didn't put enough compound, and now the effects are showing up.

I hope this isn't the case, but if it is will I be able to apply compound myself or will I have to take it to a repair center?

By the way, there are quite a few digits missing from the model number you posted. Please post the full model number.

Compaq Presario CQ5-115nr

Thanks for the input.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I hope this isn't the case, but if it is will I be able to apply compound myself or will I have to take it to a repair center?

According to the Maintenance Manual, you will need to remove the entire system board in order to remove the heatsink from the processor to reapply fresh compound. But yes, you can do it, if you're brave enough to attempt it, and be careful as you go. However, if you're not comfortable stripping a laptop, then take it to a repair shop. Of course, it'll be expensive, and heaven knows if it's the real problem.

Litmatch21

Litmatch21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I would install Speedfan, but I have no OS currently installed. I started a fresh install of XP, but the farthest I can get in the process is the HD formatting stage because the laptop constantly shuts down.

As of right now I'm thinking the problem might be a contact issue between the heatsink and the CPU. I'd like to skip that scary situation. Can I install XP on the HD using another laptop? (i.e. using the HD as a slave)

I was thinking of purchasing this item: http://www.geeks.com...d=2020D&cpc=SCH or http://www.amazon.co...5...6612&sr=8-4

Edited by Litmatch21, 19 August 2009 - 12:31 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sorry my mistake, long day yesterday.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Can I install XP on the HD using another laptop? (i.e. using the HD as a slave)

You can, but it might not boot up.

A few things...
1) Windows creates registration information from the hardware of the machine when you install. If you install on one computer and try to boot up in a different computer, Windows will grumble and possibly not boot... especially if the hardware is vastly different. If the hardware is the same between two computers, everything will be fine and Windows will boot up. There are ways to get around this, but I'm not going to explain it here. (See #3)

2) Installing on an external harddrive is more work than anything else. Again #1 applies. Not only that but due to how the bios and Windows controls USB, the install may not boot up. It's a very long explanation/topic to cover here, so you'll need to google this yourself. I've heard that it is possible to do, but have never investigated it much nor tried it myself, so I really can't comment. Google it.

3) Even if you got Windows to install (one way or another), it wouldn't matter if the laptop still crashes after 45 minutes. I'm guessing you just want to see if the computer will run if you have a good installation of XP. What you can do is download a free distribution of Ubuntu which will run off the CD drive. If nothing is wrong with the hardware of the laptop, Ubutu should run with no problems.

Edited by makai, 19 August 2009 - 03:52 PM.

Litmatch21

Litmatch21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
At this point I'm wishing I had never tried a fresh install. Actually, I wish my cousin had told me about the shut downs. It's all his fault. I'll google my butt off and determine whether I should try and install XP on a slave HD. If not, I'm going to try and install Ubuntu and hope it runs so I can return the laptop with a working OS. I'll post any results. Thanks guys.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok, will keep an eye on the thread. Good luck!

Litmatch21

Litmatch21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
So instead of installing Ubuntu I derided to continue installing XP, but this time on a smaller parttion (about 7 gigs). Before, XP would try to format the entire HD (130 gigs) and about halfway through it would shut off. Formatting 7 gigs took much less time and as a result the laptop stayed on long enough to fully install XP. The shutting down problem still remains, but at least I have fulfilled my original goal. Thank you guys for the help.