Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cookie problem?

• Please log in to reply

duhalex

duhalex

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
so one day i ran my advanced windows care thing and then i realized that my computer wont save passwords anymore. or actually anything in the fields. firefox helps me by remembering what i put in that field like in this forum i always have to log in now. all i gatta do is put in my username though and like the password will be there but i have to press enter and stuff. same goes for facebook, youtube, etc. although facebook and youtube its already written out i just have to press enter. oh and MSN it wont remember anything, even when i click the remember me button it wont remember my email so i gatta do that everytime.

i dont think this it is just a browser problem so if anyone knows how to fix this?

EDIT: Quick question

i had a virus/trojan for the past 3 months, if i system restore to one of those dates, would i get that trojan/virus again?

Edited by duhalex, 17 August 2009 - 08:13 PM.

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Hello there,

As for the password saving - it probably has something to do with shutting down Firefox. There are different options to choose from, such as "Always clear my private data when I close Firefox." But the virus problem is much more important. If your system restore dates haven't been cleaned, you're definitely capable of reinfection. As your computer likely still has nasties still lurking around... :

I strongly suggest you go to the Malware Forum and read the stickies located at the top, especially this one.
The guides will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. Then you can post a OTL log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. Only after a three day wait may you move to The Waiting Room where you will be on the top of the list to be helped. A three day wait is 72 hours.. Make sure it has been over that amount of time, or your Waiting Room topic will be closed.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

-Jason :)

duhalex

duhalex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
well i made a thread here and he said everything is fixed now so should i still go to that malware linnk??

http://www.geekstogo...62#entry1610062

Edited by duhalex, 17 August 2009 - 08:26 PM.

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Oh sorry, I didn't notice you've already been to the Malware Forum :) . Well then, if you haven't cleaned your restore dates since then, now would be a good time anyhow.

To reset your restore points, please note that you will need to log into your computer with an account which has full administrator access. You will know if the account has administrator access because you will be able to see the System Restore tab. If the tab is missing, you are logged in under a limited account.

(Windows XP)
1. Turn off System Restore.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

2. Reboot.

3. Turn ON System Restore.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
UN-Check *Turn off System Restore*.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

Alright - to fix your Firefox problem:

All it probably is, like a said before, is a checked option to clear Cookies and Autocomplete forms..
When on Firefox, navigate to:

Tools > Options

In the Privacy tab, find out whats checked. If you want it to save your stuff, you won't want things such as "Always clear my private data when I close Firefox" checked, and make sure you are accepting cookies, in the next portion of the window up.

As it has already forgotten them, you will probably have to type them in once more, after the options are turned off. After that, I would bet it would remember them.

-Jason :)

duhalex

duhalex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
im sorry but what does reseting my system restore mean? i remember turning it off before to fix a problem long ago and it almost destoryed my computer. i just want to be able to try system restoring it to an earlier date to see if it fixs the cookie problem because those firefox options are unchecked and cookies are enabled and all of that, its also happening to non browser programs like messenger.

so to sum it all up, can i just system restore or do i NEED to reset the system restore like you explained above. sorry for asking so harshly but i dont want my computer to mess up again :)

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Resetting your system restore would clean out all the old ones and then create a fresh one. But since you want to go back later, my suggestion would be different depending on when you chose to go back to. Since you probably mean before the infection, I wouldn't think it to be a good idea. I've contacted Rorschach112 who helped you with your malware problem before, who says they should be flushed, but still not suggested. It's up to you really. :)

-Jason

duhalex

duhalex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
if it helps i know how i got my virus, i was trying to dl something and i downloaded a .exe file which gave me the virus...i really want to try system restoring as far back as i can. but if you still think it's a bad idea then I wont =/