Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB 2 cardbus for Laptop

• Please log in to reply

saxtim

saxtim

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I just purchased a USB 2 cardbus for my IBM R30 Laptop. It is based on the NEC upd720100 chipset.

It installed ok, however I cannot get it to work with two USB devices that I have. The first is a SanDisk Mini Cruzer. The second is a SanDisk 6 in 1 Imagemate Card reader.

I have a lexar USB key, a portable hard drive and a Edirol midi device that all work fine - it's only the SanDisk stuff that doesn't work.

The Mini Cruzer's light comes on, but windows simply doesn't recognise its there (no popup to say a new device is connected, and no new drives in My computer). The light on the Imagemate doesn't light at all when plugged in. Both devices work fine with the existing USB 1.1 ports on the laptop, just not with the new USB 2 ports.

The main reason I bought the USB 2 ports was for downloading compact flash cards in the field (I'm a photographer) and transferring 1G and 2G cards at USB 1.1 speed is painfully slow. It's just my like that all of my stuff works with the exception of the CF card reader I have.

I tried plugging the devices in to the USB 1.1 ports, then uninstalling them in the Device manager and then plugging them into the USB 2 port with the hope they'd reinstall. No luck though.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

tim

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
When you say you uninstalled them do you mean you uninstalled the drivers only or both the drivers and the apps, then did a complete re-install? Make sure the drivers are removed entirely from the directory they are in. Also, check online with manufacturer to see if there are new drivers available before installing again

Can you remove the 1.1 ports? Don't need them anymore right?.

Ron

saxtim

saxtim

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ron,

When I say I uninstalled them - I simply went to the device manager, selected the devices and then selected unistall. I'm not sure if that has gotten rid of drivers as well. Neither the Mini Cruzer or the Imagemate came with any drivers, nor are there any drivers on the SanDisk site (except for windows 98). The website reports that the no drivers are needed for XP.

I tried disabling the internal USB hub (I think thats what it was) in the device manager - this stopped the USB 1 ports on my laptop from working so I assume I disabled the right thing. This didn't change how the USB 2 ports worked though - they still wouldn't recognise the Sandisk stuff

thanks

tim

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I should have stated not to delete the drivers from where they are, but to move them to a folder so you can reinstall them as necessary. Just remember the file names if you drop them into a folder already containing other driver backup files. I have a drivers folder (inf) in my Windows directory where there are backup copies.

Did you try reinstalling the two (SanDisk 6 in 1 Imagemate Card reader and SanDisk Mini Cruzer) AFTER you disabled the 1.1 ports and used the uninstall utility to remove these two?

I would still remove the old 1.1 USB ports if you plan on not using them in the future.

I've been up since yesterday so thinking is getting a little hazy. Try doing the above and let me know. May be later today or tomorrow before I get back here.

Ron