Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP laptop

• Please log in to reply

Larry B.

Larry B.

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I recently replaced the pwr jack on my HP laptop. Before replacing the pwr jack the laptop would bootup if I held the adapter plug at a certain angle. But since I replaced the pwr jack the laptop will not even turn on. What could have happened. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Larry

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Obviously you'd need to hold the new power adapter at that "certain" angle so the battery can charge. Yep, hold it there for at least 5 minutes (or prop it). Then try and start it.

Larry B.

Larry B.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
With the new pwr jack the light comes on at the pwr jack but the powr button does not turn on the computer.

larry

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Can you confirm all the inputs/outputs are exactly the same on the new one? Match them up with the old one.

Try taking the battery out for a few minutes, then put it back in, plug the charger back in and try it again.

Larry B.

Larry B.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I finally got the lights to come on but the computer does not boot up( it did before I replaced the old pwr jack.) Could I have damaged something while taking apart the computer or could something be loose?

I am a newbie at computers.I have read several books and also studying for my A+ cert.exam and built my first desk top PC.

Larry