Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My system Build

• Please log in to reply

Kinamyen

Kinamyen

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I just finished building my system. I went into the BIOS and set my drive boot seq. I have the CD-ROM first and HD second. When I put my Operating system disk (XP Home) I get a list then "Verifying DMI Pool Data......
Boot from CD/DVD
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

I have an LG DVD drive plugged into the IDE.
MOBO is a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3p

Maybe i am missing a step.. i am not sure
Any help would be appreciated..
Thanks.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Where did the XP Home disk come from?
OEM or Retail?
Full version or Upgrade?

Kinamyen

Kinamyen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Retail full version

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
When system first boots on the first post screen is it seeing the cdrom drive?
How about in bios...is it seeing the cdrom and hd when you auto detect?
What is the hd IDE or SATA?

Kinamyen

Kinamyen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The HD is sata.. I finally figured out what it was.. The CDROM was DOA.. But now my computer is turning off while loading the OS...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Whew that was a easy resolution.
Now to figure out the turning off problem.
I take it the install of OS is starting and then sometime during that is when the system shuts down?
Does it happen at the same point or does it vary?
Is this the first time to actually get the install started since building the system?

Kinamyen

Kinamyen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
It varies.. but i think its a power problem, or something is loose. If I can get the OS loaded, it will be easier to figure out I hope. I did lower my CPU from 3.0 to 2.33 in the bios, to see if it is a heat issue.

30% formatting now.. so I have my fingers crossed.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If it still does it then there may be a shorting problem.
Follow the next steps if the problem happens again.

Disconnect everything from the Motherboard except

* keyboard
* mouse
* video output
* 20+4 powercable
* 4/8 pin 12v wire both coming from the powersupply,
* Cpu fan wire
* power and reset button to the case
*case speaker

Now you should have NOTHING connected to the motherboard except what was listed above.

The goal here is just to test the mobo:

If the computer still will not boot up the please remove the motherboard from the computer along with the power supply

place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard,

this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case which could be a possibility

Install the cpu with, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, power supply, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
Repeat the above and power on

If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

Kinamyen

Kinamyen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
So far its been ok, I have the standoffs in.. also its a transparent case. I never used one before. Would that help or hurt a ground or shortage problem?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Most likely it is caused by a Standoff not in the right place under the MOBO
That is the reason for the second part of the test. By taking the MOBO out of the case it takes out the possibility of a standoff problem.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
If a short was occurring, the system wouldn't get through 30% of a hard drive format... It wouldn't even POST.

In fact, since a transparent PC case is made out of acrylic resin, I don't think a short is even possible. (Acrylic resin is non-conductive.)

However, going by the fact that Kinamyen said, "So far its been ok" in his last reply, is there even still a problem that needs resolving?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congrats

Kinamyen

Kinamyen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
You guys are a good help.

Thanks for the information.

Edited by Kinamyen, 19 August 2009 - 06:44 PM.

Kinamyen

Kinamyen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Cut off again at 86% format. These are the system specs.

LOGISYS Computer CS888CL Transparent Clear Acrylic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case Pre-Assembled

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80569Q9650

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model GH22NP20 (x2)

HITACHI 0A38016 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3160813AS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Kingston KVR800D2/2GR 2GB DDR2 RAM PC2-6400 240-Pin DIMM (x4)

Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 1GB (GV-R485MC-1GH)videocard

PWI-PR550 PWIPR550 Prudentway Professional Series V2.2 550Watt Power Supply

I wonder if the PW needs to be more?

Edited by Kinamyen, 19 August 2009 - 06:43 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let's check your memory and make sure there is no issue with it. Download memtest86 from the link in my signature below.

Get the file that is named Download - The one you want is "Download - Pre-compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). When it downloads, it will be labeled memtest86+2.11.iso.zip
Unzip the file once you download it. You should have a .iso file in the unzipped directory. It will look like a zip file in some cases but the file name will now be memtest86+2.11.iso

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc in my signature below.

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

Make sure the bios is set for the cd drive as the first boot device
Put the cd in the cd drive and then boot your computer.

Running the Diagnostic Program:

The basic diagnostic screen has five main sections of relevant information. Three at the top which are labeled, PASS %, TEST %, and TEST #. This will basically show you the total progress of the current test, the overall progress of the diagnostic test, and the test number is currently performing.

On the middle left hand side of the of the program interface there is a “Wall Time” section that will keep track of how long the diagnostic test has been running for. This just gives you an idea if you are not attending the testing process.

The main section to look for is the lower half of the screen which is usually blank. As long as the memory testing is going ok with no errors this section of the screen should remain blank. If the diagnostic program finds any serious faults in the memory you will see it display a memory dump of address’s in this section. This is similar to what is displayed on your screen when you encounter a blue screen of death.

You now have most everything you need to know about setting up and testing your memory with diagnostic programs. This guide should help you get to the source of any intermittent problems related to your memory.

Run memtest for at least 2 hours
If it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the memory
If there are no errors after 2 hours press Esc and that will end the tests
We will then try other options