Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Invalid Email Address when type it into a site

• Please log in to reply

adams0423

adams0423

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I'm trying to help a friend who has Ubuntu and Windows dually loaded on his laptop. When he goes to a site that requires an E-mail address, he types his in, and almost always gets some type of "Invalid Email address" error. He logged out of Windows and into Ubuntu, and gets the same error!

I am suspecting something in his BIOS since it happens in either OS. Is there anything else that would come to your mind as a potential issue?

We have re-typed passwords very carefully to ensure our accuracy and consistency.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
bios would have nothing to do with this. This issue is a site specific issue. either they are blocking his email domain, he is entering it incorrectly, or some other issue is occuring. He should contact customer support or try a different email address.

adams0423

adams0423

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I would have initially agreed, but he showed me 4 separate sites that were telling him "invalid E-mail" for his Gmail address, including a travel site, and E-commerce site, a white paper site, and another. I believe most sites that validate E-mails look for a [email protected] format. I can't think of what else could be perceived as invalid.

Thanks for your feedback.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
what browser is he using? Add ons?

adams0423

adams0423

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
In Windows it happens with IE & Firefox. I don't know what browser he is using in Ubuntu. The commonality of the problem on this one computer (and not another computer with the same sites/forms) is what leads me to suspect some BIOS setting. I'm going to get the computer from him next week to work with, but can't begin to imagine what the problem could be.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
again BIOS is Hardware, not software. This is a software issue. Only way to tell is for you to look at the computer and see if you can duplicate the issue.

AmyR2

AmyR2

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi,
I'm so glad I noticed this post because I keep having this same problem so many times on both mine and mom's computers and never have got any answers as to what if anything that I'm doing wrong.