Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cant delete files

• Please log in to reply

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Try LockHunter: http://lockhunter.com/

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
or you can try using moveonboot on any .exe files or large files in the folder first..then the whole folder

aven_steph

aven_steph

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
with that program u sent not even with that it can be deleted...it says that its not locked by any known processes but it still wont delete...

and i cant check every folder to see if it has big files, i have over 2000 but the ones that ive seen dont have big files

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I'm confused...I thought there was 1 (one) folder with a couple of thousand files in it you couldn't delete...
a quick fix is to create a new user account with admin privileges and log into it then go to the user accounts in the control panel and DELETE the account and say yes to deleting the files too..

aven_steph

aven_steph

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
no its a folder with many folders...and is that the only way?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
without knowing the names of all the folders the QUICKEST and safest WAY is to create a new user account and delete the old account...that way you won't accidentally delete something windows has to have to work...

aven_steph

aven_steph

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
that probably would have worked if i didnt move the files to the C:\ cause now thats where they are since i used OTM, anyway i could move them back to my desktop so that i can delete the account? or does that not make a difference that theyre in the C:\

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
it does not matter where the files are located...deleting the account and all the files related to that account will be removed

aven_steph

aven_steph

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
i deleted the account but the files are still there...all the rest of the files that were in the account are gone, but like i said the files are in the c:\ and were not deleted

aven_steph

aven_steph

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
hello...can someone just tell me how to move the files back to my desktop -_-

Advertisements

pronco

pronco

• Pip
  • 4 posts
The short answer? Contact TestDisk Support at

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Support

and wait for a response.

You probably don't want to move the files back to the desktop, there's no point to it, it won't achieve anything. If you want the files deleted and doing so screws something up, it'll be the same result if they were deleted off the desktop. As to what they are, if I had to guess, they're recovered files from whatever process TestDisk ran to recover either a lost partition or files, and it's either protecting them or you recovered an entire installation of XP or the like and now you're experiencing file corruption. If you can't delete them in safemode, and if Unlocker won't work, they're locked down hard. I would have recommended both Unlocker and Safe Mode, so when I read that you couldn't delete using either I was surprised. You probably have to get completely outside Windows to trash this folder, e.g. boot to a command prompt using various methods and run a del /s command. But is this install really necessary? And are you ever really going to trust it? Why not just back up your important files and run a format and recovery?

-Paul Ronco, Computer Technician
Disclaimer: All information provided by me is provided "as is." Use at your own risk.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can boot from UBCD4WIN and use it to delete the folder (windows is asleep and can't stop you)
BUT if the folder is actually needed by windows and you delete it you WILL have to reinstall windows...

aven_steph

aven_steph

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
um how do i use that program?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Left side of page click on the link named
How to build
Follow the directions to create a bootable iso cd.

aven_steph

aven_steph

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
i have something called puppy i dont know what, its an iso cd but ive never used it so i dont no how. will that work?