Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading old computer...

• Please log in to reply

cruise85

cruise85

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello all! I have HP Pavilion a365c. I have had it for a while now but recently I noticed that it became slower and freezes on me from time to time. So I decided to upgrade my old "Pentium 4". I don't know much about these computers.... but I just got a new Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83 Ghz Processor for it. But what else do I need to get to make it better? Do I need to change motherboard or not? I have 512mb ddr memory on it installed.... should I upgrade RAM to DDR2 with a few gigs? Also. I have 120 gigs processor on it right now, which is enough for me but is it enough for a new cpu?

I will post some more questions if i come up with anything...
Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

cruise85

cruise85

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Like I said, i got Q9550 cpu. but my upgrade budget is limited to $250.... any advice would be appreciated))

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
The Q9550 is not compatible with your motherboard. If you wish to use the Q9550, you will basically require a whole new computer.

The best upgrade you could do without going way over budget is upgrading the RAM. You must use DDR RAM; DDR2 and DDR3 will not be compatible. I'd go with these.

Also, how much free space does your hard drive have? To find out, click on the Start menu, then click on My Computer. Then locate the Hard Disk Drive with (C:) after its name. Right click on it, then select Properties. You should then see Free Space (designated by the pink in the pie chart).

cruise85

cruise85

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
stettybet0, thanx for a response! Is Q9550 considered a good motherboard in general?

The Q9550 is not compatible with your motherboard. If you wish to use the Q9550, you will basically require a whole new computer.

A whole new computer or a new motherboard? I heard that P45 and P35 motherboards fit Q9550. So if I get a compatible motherboard like P45 or P35 and a new Q9550 cpu and DDR2 RAM will my computer work like it was but faster?

Also, how much free space does your hard drive have? To find out, click on the Start menu, then click on My Computer. Then locate the Hard Disk Drive with (C:) after its name. Right click on it, then select Properties. sYou hould then see Free Space (designated by the pink in the pie chart).

I have something 90 gigs free... don't have a lot of stuff on it.

Can you tell me what I need to buy if I want to upgrade my current cpu to Intel's q9550? Motherboard and a RAM?

Edited by cruise85, 19 August 2009 - 11:31 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

stettybet0, thanx for a response! Is Q9550 considered a good motherboard in general?

You're very welcome. Just a quick note: The Q9550 is a processor (also known as a CPU), not a motherboard.

A whole new computer or a new motherboard?...Can you tell me what I need to buy if I want to upgrade my current cpu to Intel's q9550? Motherboard and a RAM?

I said you'd need a whole new computer because you'd need to replace just about every part. As you've correctly pointed out, you'd need a new motherboard and new RAM. In addition, you'd probably need a new power supply, and, depending on how many optical (CD/DVD) drives you have, you may need new optical drives as well. You'd also need a new copy of Windows, as the copy that came pre-installed on your HP is tied to your current motherboard. Replacing the motherboard necessitates a new copy.

So if I get a compatible motherboard like P45 or P35 and a new Q9550 cpu and DDR2 RAM will my computer work like it was but faster?

For basic use, that much upgrading is way more than you need to do. Simply upgrading the RAM, as I suggested in my last post, should be sufficient unless you are doing things like playing games, editing/encoding video or audio, or doing other demanding activities.