Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changed hard drives

• Please log in to reply

farmboy1993

farmboy1993

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
It's never been activated or installed, it's brand new.

Advertisements

farmboy1993

farmboy1993

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
It's never been activated or installed, it's brand new. Yes! It has a produst key sticker on the back!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
then we're in bidniss!

ok...put that disk in the cd drive and reboot...press the any key when it asks you to do so to boot from cd

at the first screen press enter to begin and press f8 to accept the license...it will probably detect the windows installation that's there...you want to delete the existing partitions so make sure to highlight the partition in the list (if there are more than one do this for all of them) and press d to delete it it will ask you to press enter and then l (i think that's the right order) to confirm the delete (just read the prompts)..once the partitions are deleted you should have a list that has one entry that says unformatted space (or something to that effect) press enter to set up windows on the unpartitioned space, then choose to format it as NTFS (don't do the quick format)...now go get some coffee...this can take anywhere between 15 minutes and an hour depending on the size of the drive....once that's done windows will start installing itself...from there it should make sense

remember to use the CD key from the disk you're installing with...not the one from the sticker on the pc itself

once it's all installed you'll need to install the drivers for all the hardware in the computer....one of the disks that came with the pc may have the drivers on them...if not you'll need to go to the manufacturer's website and download the drivers (probably on another computer and then copy the drives over on a usb memory stick or a cd)

farmboy1993

farmboy1993

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Ok! sounds good. I am still running the recovery disks I'm on disk 4 of 7, and it still says files not found. should I stop this first? Or let it finish before I run the xp disk?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah just stop the recovery disks...those are going no where (they probably need files from the original drive to work)

farmboy1993

farmboy1993

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Ok! Will do. When I run my Xp disk will I be able to use it on another comp. or will it just then work on this on?

farmboy1993

farmboy1993

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Ok! I put in the xp disk, and restarted the comp. it came up to the Hp PC system recovery screen, and asks me to but in recovery disk one?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Ok! Will do. When I run my Xp disk will I be able to use it on another comp. or will it just then work on this on?

legally you'll only be able to use it on one computer at a time

Ok! I put in the xp disk, and restarted the comp. it came up to the Hp PC system recovery screen, and asks me to but in recovery disk one?

....did it ask you to press any key to boot from CD?

farmboy1993

farmboy1993

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Nope! It came up with the blue hp logo screen, then went to the starting system recovery bar at the bottom, then it went to the HP system recovery screen and asks for disk one.

farmboy1993

farmboy1993

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Ok! I restarted and pressed the escape key and it gave me a screen and I choose the cd option, then it came up press any key to boot fro cd, It's now in windows setup.

Advertisements

farmboy1993

farmboy1993

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Ok! It's now formating! I'll go get some coffee and see what happens......lol.. Thanks......For all your help........ Thanks.........Don.... :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
any luck?

farmboy1993

farmboy1993

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Yes! I got it up and running. I get a pop up saying I have 30 days to activate? I put in the product key when I installed it. Also when I go to windows update, it comes up Genuine Windows Validation. It won't let me do any updates unless I validate it. Do I need to do this. Or is this just there way of making sure I can't install xp later on another comp.?

farmboy1993

farmboy1993

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
What should I do?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sorry...been a little sick lately....you need to activate windows to be able to use it....again as i said earlier, by installing this version of XP home on this machine you can't use it on another machine as long as it's on this one