Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen with a blinking cursor after reinstalling XP on a new SAT

• Please log in to reply

svenbertila

svenbertila

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The old hard drive in my Packard Bell ISTART MC 6520 has crashed. I bought a Seagate, and I connected it in the empty SATA slot while I disconnected the old drive and used my master recovery CDs to install XP and reset the computer to its factory settings (as you may know PB computers don't come with Windows XP installation disks but rely on the use of restore disks). First I encountered the Packard Bell tattoo issue, but I could solve that using the instructions at http://www.programfi...port/tattoo.php . When I start the computer after the installation, I first see the Packard Bell welcome screen and after that the screen turns black with a blinking cursor up in the left corner. Using a UBUNTU starting disk I can boot and it seems like everything has been installed on the hard drive. Why can't I get windows XP to start? Am I lacking something and in that case how do I get it? The motherboard of the Packard Bell ISTART MC 6520 is the Honolulu (M2N-TVM) Motherboard. I have XP Media Center Edition. I really need help with this issue.

Advertisements