Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Losing communication w/ DSL modem

• Please log in to reply

pdot112

pdot112

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I recently jumped on with a new ISP, who provided me with a Siemens SpeedStream DSL modem. The problem I'm having is that I frequently (sometimes daily) am losing communication between my PC (Windows XP running Norton Internet Security) and the modem (the modem is receiving the DSL according to the indicator light). I have to unplug the modem, plug back in, and in a couple occasions have had to turn off my Norton Firewall in order to restore communication to the modem. I am assuming this is a firewall issue, but have no idea when it comes to this stuff. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Do you have the latest updates for your Windows?
This could be caused by Media Sense. Try Disabling Media Sense.
Download and run the WinsockXP Fix. Restart your computer.
If the WinsockXP Fix did not solve the problem, run the following commands in Command Prompt:
netsh winsock reset -- Restart your computer; if this did not solve the problem, reset your TCP/IP settings:
netsh int ip reset reset.txt -- Restart your computer.