Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD drive

• Please log in to reply

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Oops... sorry, I guess I misread your reply. I though the LG GCC-4240N was a drive you were considering. I missed the "same drive" comment.

I still can't find anything on the web where the T40N has been used in your machine. I would hesitate to recommend it simply because I don't see any proof it'll work. You have to make that decision.

Your original drive seems to be available so is there any reason (besides having the same drive) that you don't want to just replace with an original?

Advertisements

Moe H

Moe H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
No, it would have been nice to burn DVDs and not just CDs. I'll check and see if I can find a better price than Amazon; actually the price is only $28 and another $10 for shippping. :-(

Thanks for your help.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well, sorry I wasn't much help at all. I hope you find something that works for you. Good luck!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi guys!

Optical drives for notebooks (Slim Drives) are pretty standardized as far as fit goes. The main difference is the interface, which could be either SATA or PATA. If you don't know which you have, check the connector on the rear and match it up to the pictures that accompany these two drives.

The things you'll probably have to change are the face plate and the mounting tab on the rear that holds it in the machine. take your time and use care when changing the face plate, the plastic parts break quite easily. You might fit the drive as it is and see how it looks in your machine...sometimes you luck out and don't have to mess with the faceplate at all.

The drives I linked to are both Combo drives...they'll burn to all current cd media except DVD and blue ray. DVD Burners here.

wannabe1

Moe H

Moe H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
The drive that came with the computer is the LG GCC-4240-N it's Interfaces is 1 x IDE/ATAPI; however I cannot find one online. The other LG GSA-T40N has 1 x IDE/ATAPI - 40 pin IDC. Will the second one work as an upgrade to the original drive?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The IDE/ATAPI interface really limits you to what's available in burners.

This one will burn CD/CD-R/CD-RW and will play DVDs, but not burn them. It's the only choice at newegg.com, but it is an upgrade to what you currently have.

Moe H

Moe H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Will this one work in my laptop?

Edited by Moe H, 22 August 2009 - 08:38 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It should....yes.

Moe H

Moe H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Will I need new firmware for the new drive?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Probably not.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Something to keep in mind here... Not all manufactures use the same face plate hardware... even between similar models in their line. While many slim drives will work it doesn't mean you can readily change the faceplate... so if you buy the drive you linked, be prepared that the face plate may not be swappable.

Moe H

Moe H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Makai,
Thanks, I am taking my time to make sure I get a compatible drive. If the face plate can't be swapped I'm okay with that as long as it fits and works. :-)
Moe

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I don't mean to scare you with my posts... speaking of firmware and such. But part of my responsibility to you is to make you aware that such issues exist. I would certainly love to see you plug in any drive and have it work.

Thanks, I am taking my time to make sure I get a compatible drive.

This is a good thing! I'm still searching myself for something I know is compatible. :)

Moe H

Moe H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
My wife has an Inspiron 6000 with a DVD RW. I think I will pull it and see if it works in my 5150.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
:)

Ok... just make sure you remember to pull the battery/AC on both laptops.