Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 Update Failed

• Please log in to reply

LavCea

LavCea

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I am working on a Dell Inspiron 5100 with an OS of XP Service Pack 3.

I'm trying to update the BIOS to upgrade the memory from 512 mb to 2g.

The .Net Framework update continues to failed and I get this information on the dd_dotnetfx35error.txt:

[08/22/09,18:35:50] XPSEPSC Installer: [2] Error code 1603 for this component means "Fatal error during installation.
"
[08/22/09,18:35:51] XPSEPSC Installer: [2] Setup Failed on component XPSEPSC Installer
[08/22/09,18:36:13] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates XPSEPSC Installer is not installed.

After some research I found the dd_XPS.txt document and it states this information:

[dd_XPS.txt]
0.551: ================================================================================
0.551: 2009/08/22 18:35:50.052 (local)
0.551: c:\cec7927bac6a2dd6f68465ee602eb0\update\update.exe (version 6.3.13.0)
0.551: Failed To Enable SE_BACKUP_PRIVILEGE
0.551: Setup encountered an error: You do not have permission to update Windows XP.
Please contact your system administrator.
0.561: You do not have permission to update Windows XP.
Please contact your system administrator.
0.561: Update.exe extended error code = 0xf004
0.561: Update.exe return code was masked to 0x643 for MSI custom action compliance.

The user has administrative rights but apparently not, if I'm getting the above message. How do I set the user up as the system administrator to install this .net framework update.

Hopefully this is suffecient information to get this resolved. Thank you for your help.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
According to the specs, this laptop supports 1GB ram. Is the bios you're trying to update the correct bios? Do you have a link to where this bios came from?