Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot-up problem

• Please log in to reply

iamihop

iamihop

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My Dell Dimension 4700 desktop is about 4 years old, but I’ve taken good care of it, upgraded the video card and memory, and have never had any trouble with it before. I recently moved back into my dorm, and have run my computer several times since then with no issues. Yesterday when I went to turn it on, all the lights came on, but then the fan kicked in at full speed and it just sat there, blowing out air. My monitor got no signal and just stayed black. I’ve tried several more times and have gotten exactly the same result. I have heard no beeping or any other alarming indications, and the computer does not seem to be genuinely overheating – it seems to just think it is.

I’ve tried to find similar problems online but none of them seem exactly like this. Is the motherboard shot, or is it just a jostled heatsink? Or something entirely different?

Oh, and I can’t run any diagnostics or get into the BIOS or anything because at no point does my monitor change.

Hopefully you can give me some indication of the origin of the problem!

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

I have heard no beeping

You should hear ONE beep (post beep), if everything is OK.
Can you hear hard drive spinning?
Did you try different monitor, or THIS monitor with another computer?

iamihop

iamihop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I hear no beeps, unfortunately.
After a few seconds I can't hear anything except the fan going crazy, but before that it does sound like the hard drive is spinning.
I don't have easy access to another monitor to check that, but I just plugged it into this laptop, and it's functioning normally. My guess (although I suppose it's just a gut sense) is that any monitor wouldn't display anything.
Thank you for your help!
Isaac

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're correct. It looks like monitor is fine.

I recently moved back into my dorm

Open the case, and re-seat all cards, and RAM.

StealthSoul

StealthSoul

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hey, I'm having a similar problem, so I thought I'd post here rather than create a whole new thread - hope that's okay. If you want me to start a new thread then I'll do that.

My computer was functioning perfectly fine last night, and when I went to turn it on this morning I was presented with a blank (black) screen and saw nothing. I can tell the computer is booting up because I hear the Windows start-up sound through my speakers.

I have tried the monitor on a different computer and it was working just fine, so I don't think that the monitor is the issue.

I have tried to re-seat my cards and RAM but I still have the same problem. I'm on Windows 7 and I also have a Dell, but I have a Dell Dimension E521. My graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce 7300LE.

Is there any explanation for what happened, and what can I do to get my PC working again?

Thanks

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
StealthSoul
You need to start your own topic.

StealthSoul

StealthSoul

• PipPip
  • 55 posts