Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows/System32/Config/System Missing or Corrupt

• Please log in to reply

adai2020

adai2020

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hi,

Firstly, i have a Lenovo T60 Thinkpad laptop which came preinstalled with Windows XP. For one of my courseworks in university, i then dual installed Ubuntu 9.04 using the WUBI - Windows Installer. Note: WUBI Windows Installer together with the Ubuntu installed can be easily uninstalled if it is not required just like normal Windows applications. Thus i had a laptop which could dual boot into either Windows XP or Ubuntu 9.04. Everything was fine with Ubuntu and Windows XP and the dual boot option also worked fine.

Recently when i tried to start up my computer and chose the Windows XP option to boot, on the boot up screen it showed me the following message:

Windows/System32/Config/System Missing or Corrupt

I could not boot into my Windows XP anymore but i can successfully boot into my Ubuntu 9.04 by choosing the Ubuntu boot up option. I am currently using Ubuntu in my laptop to access internet and even to type out this message.

From my Ubuntu operating system, i am actually able to access to my C drive where Windows XP is installed. I can access my C Drive and hence access all the files in C drive which is also where Windows XP is installed in my computer.

1) Is it somehow possible to repair the missing or corrupt file without having to reinstall and reformat the entire Windows XP installation again ?

2) Is it possible to just repair the corrupt file without loosing all data stored in C drive by using the available access to C drive through Ubuntu 9.04?

3) What are the options that are currently available to me to rectify this problem ?

4) I dont mind loosing or erasing my Ubuntu 9.04 OS in the attempt to rectify my Windows boot up problem as i have nothing important in my Ubuntu. I reiterate that i actually dont need my current Ubuntu intact and even if Ubuntu will be affected during the repair procedure, it doesn't matter as i will just uninstall my Ubuntu.

5) Is it possible to somehow repair the Windows boot up problem without loosing all my data stored in the C drive (I don't mind if Ubuntu gets affected) ?

Any help will be great.

Thanks,
Adai.

NOTE:

I have noted that Broni - GeeksToGo Tech Staff has been giving some guide to rectify this problem. For example the given solution can be found in this other thread: http://www.geekstogo...pt-t242795.html

But i do not know whether i can follow it for my case. And will the given solution retain all data stored in the computer after fixing the necessary files ?

Edited by adai2020, 28 August 2009 - 07:13 AM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi and sorry for the delay.

First up, if you are able to currently access your data through the Ubuntu boot then for goodness sake, make a full backup of it! So even if something does go wrong when it shouldn't, you know you have an extra copy of your data to restore from.

Now, I do believe that following the instructions Broni has posted there are for you. Once you have backed up your data, give it a shot and report back how it goes.

Cheers

Troy

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Seconded :)

adai2020

adai2020

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hi Tory and Broni,

I had tried to do as per suggested by Broni in his post which i had hyperlinked in my first post in this topic. Unfortunately it did not work.

I first used the recovery CD that came together with my laptop. But the recovery CD only gave one option which is to reformat and reinstall the entire drive.hence i did not use the cd which came together with my laptop.

Thus, i then downloaded the file rc.iso given by Broni which was suggested for people who dont have Windows Recovery CD.I used the rc.iso CD, the first Windows Setup page appeared as stated in the instructions. I then pressed the key 'R' to choose the option that stated 'To repair Windows XP installation using Rceovery Console, press R'.

After that i received a blue screen with the following message on it:
"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.

Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer supplied diagnostic or setup program

Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, Press F3."

The only option given to me was to quit setup as you can see from the above message. Hence i quit the setup program by pressing F3.

So is there any way you can help me now ? Please do let me know if there is any other way, as i really need some help now to rectify this situation.

I was thinking whether it is possible for me to copy a new version of the system/config file from somewhere like the Windows XP CD and use it to replace the old corrupt one in my C drive since i still can access my C drive throuh Linux. Will this work ? If it will work, where can i get another copy of the system/config file ?

Thanks,
Adai.

Edited by adai2020, 10 October 2009 - 07:00 PM.