Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

graphics card not supported?

• Please log in to reply

baumgardtj

baumgardtj

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
i recently upgraded my mobo and cpu and added 4 gigs of ram to my desktop but after getting it all together i ren oblivion with the onboard video and it ran great. i have a nvidea 8400gs i tried to add but after installing and updating my drivers everything runs horribly. it seems like i went from a 3.00 dual core to 750MHz! i really dont know how to fix it and i updated my mobo bios and nvidea drivers but it still is just way too darn slow. any advice would be very apprecieated! HOOAH!!!

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Exactly which 8400GS is your card... in other words, what manufacturer is it from (EVGA, Sparkle, PNY, Gigabyte, etc.)
A 8400GS is not really made for gaming. When you installed it, did you disable onboard video?

What mobo and cpu did you upgrade to?

baumgardtj

baumgardtj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
its an nvidea one and yes i disabled the on board video too but to no avil it still is extremely slow. i have a biostar A760G M2+ mobo and a AMD Athlon IIx2 3.00 dual core CPU and i have four Gb of ram installed. i upgraded from a stock mobo and a pentium 4 2.8

baumgardtj

baumgardtj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
scratch that im sorry its a BFG tech card

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
So this is your mobo: http://www.biostar-u...nt.php?S_ID=394
And this is your card: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814143177
And this is the game you are referring to: http://www.oblivionp...o/systemreq.php

When you use your 8400GS, does you entire system slow down, or is it just Oblivion giving you slower framerates? Remember to disable onboard video when using your 8400GS.

What are the framerates you get using onboard video compared with the framerates of your 8400GS when playing Oblivion?

baumgardtj

baumgardtj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
you are correct thats what i have and are trying to run. but windows runs fine but all games are very slow and now under my system page it says i have AMD 800MHz instead of a 3.0GHz when i run oblivion with the onboard i can run it on high settings but with the card in i cant even run it on low. and the card runs fine on another system andi have a 600wpsu so it cant be the power supply. i downloaded drivers ran dual cpu support and even got the xp hotfix for dual cores but it still dosent work.

baumgardtj

baumgardtj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
im thinking of just getting rid of this card but i really want to see if i can (with the help of you all of course) get it running.

baumgardtj

baumgardtj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i really hope u guys can help me. i dont wanna get rid of my card

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

windows runs fine but all games are very slow and now under my system page it says i have AMD 800MHz instead of a 3.0GHz

Can you give me screenshots of your system page when you are using your onboard video, and when you are using your 8400Gs.

You have updated you BIOS, right?

baumgardtj

baumgardtj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ok here it is. and yup i updated my bios

baumgardtj

baumgardtj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
its not letting me upload it

baumgardtj

baumgardtj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ok now it still says 800MHz but when the cpu is under load it jumps and stays at 3000MHz. is that normal? is it idling at 800MHz?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

now it still says 800MHz but when the cpu is under load it jumps and stays at 3000MHz

Now that makes sense... it is normal with most CPUs. They will underclock themselves to save power when they are not under load.

If you feel that your onboard video is working better on games than your 8400GS use your onboard stuff for now.

If you are looking for a good gaming card for a low price... then consider a GeForce 9800 GTX+ or an ATI 4870. You could also try a GTS 250.

baumgardtj

baumgardtj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i have a new card coming in today its a HIS radeon HD 4670

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Look here to see how the card you chose stacks up against others: http://www.tomshardw...ard,2387-7.html

It's on the same tier as a 9600 GSO and a 8800GS. It looks like a good choice... hope this card does well for you! Let me know how it works out.