Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Downgrade from Vista Ultimate 64 to XP 64

• Please log in to reply

Zomglaphone

Zomglaphone

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I just put a new computer together and the only reason I installed vista was to take advantage of directX 10 and 64 bit.

I'd already known there was a 64 bit version of xp but when I'd first heard about it, a lot of people complained about its poor driver support.

Now I'm hearing talk that you can get directX 10 for xp? If that is the case, I wanted to ask you guys if it would be worth it to downgrade back to xp?

Don't get me wrong, I like vista enough, but it's just so mind numbingly slow compared to xp, even on 12gb of ram!

Let me know what you guys think, oh.. and if the consensus is to stay with vista, would someone please direct me to a page that has tweaks to speed it up, I'm sick of waiting for that OS all day.

Thanks a lot!

Edited by Zomglaphone, 23 August 2009 - 09:43 AM.

Advertisements

SabRinaa

SabRinaa

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
well, i know that you dont want to hear what we think abaout that...

but why dont you use windows 7 x64 instead of xp 64?
win7 is much faster then vista.

i wouldnt use xp x64.
many programs wont work, and what you allready said - poor driver support.

Zomglaphone

Zomglaphone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hmm.... I guess I never considered 7 64 yet, if you say it's better, i'll definitely give it a shot.

What's the best place to obtain a copy?

SabRinaa

SabRinaa

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
you can get it from the official MS Page ^^
it's beta, but it runs very very well and even better then vista.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Sorry, the Windows 7 RC is no longer available for download. If you want Windows7 now, you will need to purchase the full install version.

Also, if you did download and install the Release Candidate, you'll get two weeks' notice, and then beginning on March 1, 2010, your PC will start shutting down every two hours. The RC will expire on June 1, 2010. To avoid interruption, you'll need to rebuild your test PC to replace the OS with a valid version of Windows, and reinstall all your programs and data before the software expires.

Murray

SabRinaa

SabRinaa

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Howdy:

Sorry, the Windows 7 RC is no longer available for download. If you want Windows7 now, you will need to purchase the full install version.

Also, if you did download and install the Release Candidate, you'll get two weeks' notice, and then beginning on March 1, 2010, your PC will start shutting down every two hours. The RC will expire on June 1, 2010. To avoid interruption, you'll need to rebuild your test PC to replace the OS with a valid version of Windows, and reinstall all your programs and data before the software expires.

Murray

i made it like this:
i created 2 partitions.

1 partition for windows, and the second for programs etc.
you can save the registry. and if you have to reinstall windows, you can just import the registry - tadaaa. no other installation is needed.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Do what you want. Once the RC expiry date passes, it will quit working. Also, you won't be able to get online with it. What good is it to you then?

Murray

kristain

kristain

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
If you want to know how to downgrade from Windows 7 to Windows XP, just click the link here.