Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Must --resume the ...--resume!

• Please log in to reply

Rhonwen

Rhonwen

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi.

This is probably really simple.

Almost positive the disk is full and won't open files. Oh no, ..my resume! Using Microsoft Office Word 2003 which is working but running slow. Other disks are opening files ...no problem.

Any advice?

Also. Where do I post a question about my browser? Thanks. :)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what?

Rhonwen

Rhonwen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I am trying to retrieve a file from a *disk* and it won't open.

I am getting a warning that says ..."the disk is not formatted or it's formatted for a McIntosh". Or the warning says ..."A: is not accessible - disk media not recognized - disk may not be formatted"

I've tried other disks and they work.
I have used this *disk* before. It might be full. Is that a problem?

I hope I'm making sense? This is a little embarassing as I am sure the answer is simple. :)
If there is something I can to to retrieve the files ...that would be great!
Thank you.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I am trying to retrieve a file from a *disk* and it won't open.

I am getting a warning that says ..."the disk is not formatted or it's formatted for a McIntosh". Or the warning says ..."A: is not accessible - disk media not recognized - disk may not be formatted"

I've tried other disks and they work.
I have used this *disk* before. It might be full. Is that a problem?

Ooh, floppy disks! I remember them.

The fullness of a floppy disk drive is only of concern when it comes to saving anything on them due to the limited amount of capacity that they hold. Back when it was all fields around here files were so small you could fit hundreds of them on a floppy.

Does this disk work on other machines with floppy disk drives?
If the disk doesn't work on other machines then the disk is scrap (probably a sector 0 failure) and you've lost everything that's on it. Sector 0 on a floppy disk basically tells Windows where everything is on the disk (by what's called the table of contents) and if that's damaged the entire disk is worthless and if Sector 0 cannot be formatted the disk is toast.

With all due respect, why are you still using floppies? Would you not be better looking at flash memory/pen drives/pen sticks that hold the equivalent of about 1500 floppies?
Floppies may still be available but they're so unreliable, so bulky and they're easily damaged, with copious legends of students in schools of yesteryear carting them around in their back pockets, sitting on them, bending them and then wondering why they (the disks) don't work.

Rhonwen

Rhonwen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi.
Thank you for the response.

I brought the disk somewhere else and they told me it had to be formatted.
Is formatting easy to do?
Is there a way to check Sector O?

I'd would simply toss it away... just like "burnt toast" lol, but I didn't back up a couple of important items. My fault and big mistake.

To answer your question. At this point in time it's a mostly money issue, ..unfortunately. My entire computer needs a serious upgrade. As does my PC knowledge ..eek. Hopefully soon. :)

Edited by Rhonwen, 05 September 2009 - 11:32 AM.