Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Serious Hardware issues

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please do the following steps and let em know what the results are.

Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y

If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

Have you done the HD diagnostics as datarunner suggested earlier?

Advertisements

JDrewParham

JDrewParham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I'm fixing to restart and do the chkdsk. I still haven't ran the HDD diagnostics or memtest because I can't get my .NET framework upgraded. I'll let you know how chkdsk turns out.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
HDD Diagnostics and memtest run without windows.
They load into memory from the bootable cd you create.

JDrewParham

JDrewParham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
any files I download are corrupt and won't install. I can't run memtest because I can't download and install winzip or any equivalant program. I ran the chkdsk /r and it looked like it just found one bad cluster that windows repaired. I also tried using the HDD out of my old computer, it's 3-4 yrs old but as far as I know its still working, and installed a fresh copy of windows. Still no dice. I haven't messed with it much but it's still crashing if it boots at all. I have had problems with IRQ not less than or equal to BSOD ever since I built the computer. But now it seems that my video card HDD and Blu-ray burner have all went out at the same time. Do you think that my problem could be with the mobo?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Rerun chkdsk till it finds no more errors.
Very likely could be MOBO but hard to tell without being able to run diagnostics.
Not sure what you are trying to install as the memtest is not installed but burned to a disk as a image file. Not having anything like
Winzp, Winrar, Zip7 or Bitzipper is going to make it harder
Then the system is rebooted and it boots to the cdrom drive instead of booting to windows.

Can you get access to another system and do the steps to make the cd with memtest and another with the HD diagnostic?
Then run them on your system?

JDrewParham

JDrewParham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
im going to use a friends pc to test all my hardware and see if I cant isolate the problem. gonna take me a few days but I'll PM you when I've sorted out all I can. Thanks for your help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok I will monitor this topic and await your message.