Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Alfa USB hipower adaptor--I am clueless how to install/get running

• Please log in to reply

wynnyelle

wynnyelle

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
I purchased this high power adapter to increase Wifi signal strength of publicly available wifi in the area where I live and work. Suffice it to say that paying $60 a month on a wireless network when I barely make enough money to eat on, is an expense I'd like to do without if I can especially since I get lousy reception from my network anyway. This adapter was only $40, I figured it was worth trying.

The box arrived today without any directions, I would just pop the CD in but my laptop has no CD drive. There a place I can DL these same directions?

My OS is windows xp. Computer is asus eee pc 900. If there is any more info you need just let me know. Thanks in advance...

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://dplanet.biz/a...products_id=377 <-- is that the contraption that you've got? if so there are links to the driver and manual on that page

wynnyelle

wynnyelle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Edit: I got it installed and running, however it isn't actually able to connect to anything. Why am I not surprised?

I just think wireless internet isn't in the cards for me. Someone upstairs seems to have declared it so, after my fiascos with AT&T and repeated failures to get their internet to work for me...

I should elaborate. The signal is listed as strong yet when I connect to it it is really slow or nothing at all. 4 bars out of 5 on wifi, should it be fast? Or does it really depend?

Edited by wynnyelle, 29 August 2009 - 09:23 PM.

wynnyelle

wynnyelle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
I now finally tried it fresh and it's giving me a signal from the router--it is at 46%, it was near zero before. Okay, so it lets me connect fine but then I can't actually load any pages on IE. None at all.

I ran a diagnostics and got a log, I will try and attach it for you here.

Last diagnostic run time: 08/31/09 12:55:11 Network Adapter Diagnostic
Network location detection

info Using home Internet connection
Network adapter identification

info Network connection: Name=Wireless Network Connection, Device=Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=WIRELESS
info Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection, Device=Atheros L2 Fast Ethernet 10/100 Base-T Controller, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN
info Network connection: Name=Wireless Network Connection 3, Device=Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=WIRELESS
info Network connection: Name=3G Connection, Device=Standard Modem, MediaType=PHONE, SubMediaType=NONE
warn This machine has more than one Ethernet or more than one Wireless adapter
info Redirecting user to support call

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

warn FTP (Passive): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn FTP (Active): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.hotmail.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.passport.net: The server name or address could not be resolved
error Could not make an HTTP connection.
error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
error Could not make an FTP connection.

Edited by wynnyelle, 31 August 2009 - 11:44 AM.