Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! Computer freezing problem..

• Please log in to reply

jb228

jb228

• Pip
  • 1 posts
So recently within the past couple weeks, I have had a problem with my computer freezing that I can't quite figure out.. It will mainly occur during gameplay (World of Warcraft), but sometimes will randomly freeze while browsing the internet, performing simple tasks, or sometimes right after boot up or AS it is booting. When it freezes, it does one of a few things:

1)Screen freezes what is on the screen and speakers will scream with static.
2)Monitor goes completely black and computer wont respond to any input.
3)After booting up it will randomly lose power and shut off.

After the first time it froze, it would not boot for a while, and would only show a black screen after powering on. A day later, I tried again, after reseating the heatsink, and other components. Success! However, it was short lived and shortly after booting it froze after loading the desktop. I thought that it could have been the power supply, as I was only running a 400w Thermaltake PSU, however it had been working with the same setup for about a year now. I ordered a new power supply( as listed in my specs) which was a 750w Corsair. I booted up and it felt like everything was fine until an hour into playing WoW, where it froze again.

Naturally, after this, I thought this could be a heating problem, as the times it freezes are random. I checked temps with both Coretemp and Speedfan and noticed that my CPU temps were idling at 35~40c, and rising rapidly up to 79c after starting a game. After freezing again, I tried seating an external house fan blowing inside the open case, and booting up again. This it seemed as if it was working better, and was freezing less. I ordered a new CPU heatsink just a few days ago and installed it, which brought my Core temps down to 29c Idling, maximum 40c under stress. I fixed it! or so I had thought.. It ran fine for the entire day afterwards, even while playing games, until earlier today when it began to freeze once again during gameplay, and continued to freeze after every boot shortly after. So this is where I am at currently, and would greatly appreciate any suggestions, or solutions to this problem.

Note: My GPU usually runs at about 51c idle, and up to 60c under stress. This last time that it froze, it was running at 55c.

Current Specs:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M
Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V
Sound: Realtek onboard sound
Graphics: 8800 GTS 320mb
RAM: CORSAIR XMS2 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2
HDD: (2x) Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB

Other things I have tried include swapping out RAM, swapping out graphics, disabling the onboard sound device, updating sound drivers, updating graphics drivers.. all things produced similar results as the first freeze.

Please help! =(

Advertisements