Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer turns off immediatly after starting

• Please log in to reply

j3tt

j3tt

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all. I recently bought a pc that has been running great, no problems whatsoever besides one issue i have been having. Quite often when i go to turn on my computer, the fans will start spinning and everything else looks like it is turning on, however it immediately shuts off after about a second. After that happens, i have to turn off the (- - o) button on the psu and back on for the power button to even do anything afterwords. This problem occurs sometimes randomly after having my computer left off overnight then turning it on the next day, and almost always if i turn my pc off then go try to turn it on again. Eventually i can get it to start up if i wait a few minutes, but i need to know if there is something behind that issue that will cause damage in the long run. I have looked through several forums looking for users with the same issue and what i am thinking is that some sort of failsafe is kicking in on the psu and is causing this issue. Here is my build :

Gamer Supreme 944
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550(2.83GHz)
8GB DDR2 800
1TB SATAII
22X DL DVD+/-RW Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 1GB Video Card
Realtek chipset, 8-Channel High Definition Audio
800W
Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Coolermaster HAF Gaming Tower+ Red Lighting

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
This sounds more like a "false start" commonly brought on by overclocking on certain motherboards. Is the machine being overclocked? If it is, set the bios so its NOT overclocked and see if it helps.

j3tt

j3tt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Nope, nothing is overclocked.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Can you download CPUz (CPUid), install it, take a screen capture of the CPU tab and Memory tab and post both in your next reply.

j3tt

j3tt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Posted Image

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well, it doesn't appear overclocked, but I can't really tell as I don't know what the native bus speed is. However it is running with speedstep enabled. You might try setting the bios to run without speedstep as it may be affecting how the processor is starting up and how the bios is reacting to it.

On some Asus p5 series motherboards, it's a known problem when overclocking with certain processors. In fact, I experienced the exact same symptoms myself with a P5Q Pro board overrclocking a E7400 and then it was fine with an E8400. Weird!

I tried looking up the specs on the Gamer 944, but since it customizable, I couldn't tell what kind of motherboard it has. Even the specs for the motherboard showing up at Newegg only specifies the motherboard chipset, and not the motherboard itself.

In any case, I feel you shouldn't have to live with this problem as its not normal and will probably damage something in the long run. I would call either the place you purchased from or ibuypower themselves to remedy the situation.

By the way, what does CPUz indicate for the motherboard (Mainboard).