Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Remote Desktop: How-to control my home desktop from work or a friends

• Please log in to reply

sonicblue

sonicblue

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

I'm looking for a solution to controlling my home desktop when I'm at work or at a friends house. I'm not really sure where to begin. Is their software out there that would let me accomplish this? Or is it possible to set this up simply by using options already built into my Windows XP computer?

The computer I want to remote into is an XP. All of the computers that I'd be using to get into it would be Vista machines.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
one option is a system like logmein or pcanywhere...both are designed to do this...though neither is free, but they require the least amount of configuration on the target machine

you could also use either VNC (any flavor of VNC...i like realvnc and ultravnc) or remote desktop (built into windows xp and newer)...but both of these options require you to do some configuration changes on your router/modem as well as either get a static ip address (public ip not private) or use a service like dyndns to allow you to have a semi static address to connect to...the major drawback of these options is the fact that you WILL be opening a security hole (pretty large one actually) in your internet connection