Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Corrupt Files

• Please log in to reply

jryda55123

jryda55123

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I have been working with emeraldnzl from the malware removal forum and in his opinion all the malware has been removed but i am left with corrupt files. Here is the Link to the topic:

http://www.geekstogo...7292.html&st=45

I tried the sfc /now scan but it says i need an XP CD and i have Home Edition but unfortunatly i lost the Home Edition and only have Professional. Any ideas other than a reformat?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello jryda55123...

Wow...quite a read over in the malware forum. I didn't see anything that jumped out at me except that it seems the machine is throwing a fit when you work it hard.

Does the machine shut down or hang at other times or when using certain software.

Are you receiving any error messages at all?

Does the machine ever spontaneously restart?

wannabe1

jryda55123

jryda55123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
the only time the machine ever flips out on me is when i run the Malware Scan or Ad-aware SE scan and a few of the other ones that me and emeraldnzl tried. Once in a while it'll give the blue screen error when doing one of the scans but for the most part it just freezes/restarts. Thanks for your help in advance

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I need to look at some things that they don't look at in the malware forum.

Please download, install, and run WinAudit on the machine. Save a report in HTML format and attach it to an email to me. I'll PM you with my address.

There is a guide for saving the WinAudit report HERE.

When the report is generated, it will create 3 files. I need only the one named "right.html".

jryda55123

jryda55123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
when i download it, it downloads EVEREST Home Edition and looks nothing like the guide that you provided.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That was my fault...sorry. I just sent the link to Everest to someone in a chat.... :)

Try this one. WinAudit

jryda55123

jryda55123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
okay i sent it

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You have quite a few faulting applications, but I can't spot what might be causing the failures.

I see you have Gamer OSD installed, but have only used it twice. If you don't use this program to adjust the clock of your GPU, I'd suggest uninstalling it. It can cause problems...it's rare, but it happens.

Have you tried running any of these scans in safe mode? Among the faulting applications are AVG. Spybot, and Malwarebytes. Try running a scan with each of these in safe mode and see if the machine pitches a fit. We may end up uninstalling all of them and running a cleanup utility before reinstalling, but let's see how they behave in safe mode first.

I do think, at this point, that we are looking at a third party application problem rather than a Windows problem.

jryda55123

jryda55123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
before i uninstall gamer OSD can u explain to me what it is because i do play games and if it can help me i would love to keep it and use it

also i have ran malwarebytes in safe mode and my computer got blue screen and shut down. I have not tried AVG and Spybot just yet but i will shortly and check in with you

Edited by jryda55123, 28 August 2009 - 10:00 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It's an ASUS application used for changing the video card clock speed on the fly. If you don't want to uninstall it, let's at least stop it from starting with Windows. You certainly don't need it running all the time.

Keep me updated on the scans. I'm trying to eliminate things that might be conflicting.

Advertisements

jryda55123

jryda55123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
now when i go into safe mode as soon as i log into my account my computer shuts down. it just seems to get worse and worse haha

jryda55123

jryda55123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
any ideas wannabe1?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You wouldn't happen to have an extra power supply laying around that you could try, would you?

jryda55123

jryda55123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
nope =/... and my power supply got changed about 2 and a half weeks ago along with a few other upgrades but i had this issue for longer i just never did anything about it

Edited by jryda55123, 31 August 2009 - 01:04 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is this a laptop or a desktop machine?

The three most common causes of a machine just turning off are an overheating processor, a bad power supply, or a bad motherboard. That said, I ran into a Dell lappy that ws severely messed up...wouldn't start, all kinds of blue screens, file system corruption, etc. I traced it all to a defective AC adapter. Once I replaced that the machine started right up. I had to reinstall windows because of all the file system problems it caused, but the "brick" caused it all.

Make sure the machine is clean inside...particularly the CPU cooler and the power supply. If you find things a mess in there, use a can of compressed air to clean things up.

The easiest way to check the power supply, for most people, is to swap it out with a known good one.

The other two are more difficult to check as the machine isn't starting.