Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Modem Configuration

• Please log in to reply

nevynz

nevynz

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I purchased a modem while in Cali and have since moved to Japan. My new provider will not reconfigure my "personal modem" Modem type is Motorolla SURFboard SB85100 Cable Modem. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Did a search on Motorola's site and could not find a SB85100 Cable Modem. SB5101 and SB5102 Cable Modems were listed. Normally, all the ISP needs is the MAC address of modem to get you going. Sounds like they refuse to do this because they want to force you to lease one of their modems. There shouldn't be that much difference spec-wise in their supplied modem and yours.

Might look at this anyway and see if it helps:

Configuring your Computer to Connect to your Motorola Broadband Modem

Basic Installation and Configuration Overview for the SB5100, SB5101, SB5120 & SB6120

As I said, I didn't find your model so this info may not be relevant to yours although I don't understand why it wasn't listed on Motorola's site. You might also look through the FAQs for your ISP in Japan and see what restrictions they have for personal modems. Maybe their Terms of Service, too.