Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Recovery cd errors

• Please log in to reply

Jarrod59

Jarrod59

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I created a home made recovery cd on sp3, and was planning to fix or upgrade my old compaq presario desktop to sp3. I currently have sp2 on there at the moment, and was planning to see if the recovery cd would also fix up the Ntldr is missing error with the installation. I got the home made recovery directions from this site: http://www.howtohave...setupdisk.shtml, it was very helpful but when i put the recovery cd into my drive it starts to load, gets to the locating files and every time it keeps getting different errors.
My cd-rom drive also ONLY reads Data disks, which is no use for a factory made recovery disk

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you read this part at the link...
Important Note
Note that there are NO GUARANTEES with the procedure I outline here. It is possible that it does not work - for example, if your vendor has deleted some essential file in the I386 folder (which we will need), your installation may well fail at some crucial point after it has formatted your hard disk! It is also possible that my procedure will not work on your system, or that I made some mistake in describing it here. So do it all at your own risk.
if the install fails after formatting the drive you will have nothing...

we may be able to help BUT you need to explain in more detail exactly what is happening...

tell us everything you tried to fix the problem and what the results were...

did you add any new hardware or software recently...
get any updates for xp or any software just prior to the problem...
what is the make and model of your computer...
what are your system specs...

can you boot into safe mode...if you can... try system restore
go back at least a week before you started having problems...

Jarrod59

Jarrod59

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ok My Operating system is windows xp sp2 at the moment i am trying to upgrade to sp3.
What is used is everything on that page, i slipstreamed sp3 using the correct procudures, it all worked well i used the imgburn utility to create the bootable disk.

When i turn on my compaq Presario, (and when it has the recovery cd in there,) it loads to say press any key to boot from disk, i do that comes up with: setup is inspecting your computers hardware settings, and that completes then comes up with the setup is loading correct files it works until at some points, it also has so many errors that it is uncountable, most of them are re-occuring errors. Today i tried it and i managed to finish the: aetup is loading files (which was amazing) but comes up with this error: Stop.c0000221 unknown Hard Error \SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll. And thats it it stops.

The last time i updated it was when i installed sp2 it got incredibly slow from that point on, and about a week later it came up with ntldr is missing and it is not a one off error, There has been no hardware installed since it was brought in 2003. I have had no updates because the net on the computer hasnt been used since 2004.
The make of the computer is a Compaq Presario, im not sure but S3060AN could be the model number, checked on net and it is Spects are:
Hardware
Model S3060AN DK315A
Processor and Speed AMD Athlon XP2200+ 1.8 GHz/266
Chipset VIA KM266
Motherboard Salsa-GLA
RAM 256/2100 MB DDR SDRAM
Maximum 1 GB (2 x 512 MB DDR SDRAM)
Sockets Two 184-pin DDR DIMMs
Size 128, 256, and 512 MB DDR DIMMs
Free DIMM sockets None
Pair required No
Type supported JEDEC unbuffered DDR SDRAM DIMM specification
Cache 128 KB L1, 256 KB L2 Integrated on Processor module
Hard drive 40 GB
Optical drive CD-RW drive: 48x-Write / 12X-Re-write/CD-ROM speed =48x max.
Average random access 75ms
Transfer rate 7.2 MB/sec
Diskette drive 3.5-inch (1.44 MB)
Fax/Data modem V.90 56 Kbps
Fax speed Up to 14.4 Kbps
Data compression V.42 bis
Error correction V.42
EIA Fax commands Class 1
Video graphics AGP 4X graphics
Controller Integrated w/KM266 Chipset
Video memory UMA 64 MB
Network card 10/100Base-T, Integrated
MPEG-1/2 MPEG-1 for full-screen, full-motion digital video
Sound AC'97 Integrated on MB
Controller Realtek ALC201
Chassis Chameleon, 250HV PSU
USB Interface specification USB 2.0
External ports 6=USB, 1=serial, 1=parallel
Front I/O connector 2=USB
Expansion slots (Total) 3=PCI, 1=AGP
Expansion slots (Free) 2=PCI, 1=AGP
Drive bays (Total) Two 5.25-inch external, one 3.5-inch external, two 3.5-inch internal
Drive bays (Free) One 5.25-inch external, one 3.5-inch internal
Keyboard/Mouse One-touch Enhanced Keyboard, PS/2 Optical scrolling mouse

I cannot go into safe mode because of the ntldr is missing error,i checked with Global pc in New Zealand, and they mentioned that when i was installing the sp2 it corrupted the system files, and a couple days on it came up with ntldr is missing.
I cannot use system restore as it is not compatible with sp2 and has cannot find: restore.log.
Hope this helps. Thanks

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
lets try reformatting the hard drive before you try installing from the disks...

go here..download the following file: rc.iso...
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start by clicking on BurnCDCC.exe
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its rc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....

when you boot from rc.iso you will get a blue screen and it will say setup is loading files...
then it will say its starting windows...you will get to a screen that says ...do you want to install windows or 2nd choice it to repair windows...press r to repair...you will get to a ...C:\>.......this is where you type in format c: then press enter

Jarrod59

Jarrod59

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ok i tried formatting the hard drive, it did not work, it didnt even get to the blue screen that says setup is loading files.
What it did was error after error: here is most of the errors i got: txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing, i386\ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded error code 14, adpu160m.sys no found, File dacw2k.sys caused an unexpected error (32768) at line 3514 in d:\xpclient\base\boot\setup\setup.c.
and a major one was here is a pic of it:

I will note down what it said.
Trap 00000006 Execption
tr=0028 cr0=00000011 cr2=00000000 cr3 00000000
gat limit=03FF base=00017000 idt limit 07FF base 00017400
cs eip=0008:F000FF53 ss:esp=0010:00060E5C errcode=0000
Flags=00010002 NoCy Nozr IntDis Down TrapDis
eax=00000000 ebx=00000005 ecx=0032F3A9 edx=00001000 ds 0010 es 0010
edi 00024538 esi 00060E94 ebp 00060E88 Cr000000011 fs 0030 gss 0000

That is the worst error i got in the process of doing the cd.

What other atlternatives are there for doing this?
Note If this helps it has an Ntldr is missing error on startup so i cant do anything apart from using a bootable disk or floppy disks.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20090902170352.jpg

Jarrod59

Jarrod59

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
OK I just tried it again and it works i was trying to format it and it doesnt work but i am doing CHKDSK,Scanning for BOOTCFG, How do i properly format it?
Thanks

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
lets try this ...read this first here...then get the second one down here

Jarrod59

Jarrod59

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ok i managed to delete the C: Dirve but i didnt do the D: drive do i need to do this or dont i because one of them has D:i386 and the other has D:MiniNT, do i need to delete/format these aswell.
Also the rc.iso file you got me to download doesnt have the EULA to install windows xp.
Would it be possible for you to create one with maybe sp1 intergrated in it or would this be an annoyance in the installation. My install disks have not worked when ive created them myself i dont know if ive done something wrong because they dont even get to the Blue screen that has where you choose from installing windows and ther recovery console.
Thanks

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Ok i managed to delete the C:

I didn't ask you to delete the drive..just format it so you would have a better chance of getting your install to run properly

i didnt do the D: drive do i need to do this or dont i because one of them has D:i386 and the other has D:MiniNT, do i need to delete/format these aswell.

NO...that may be a recovery partition that you can use to wipe the computer and put it back to like the day you bought it...

Also the rc.iso file you got me to download doesnt have the EULA to install windows xp.

its only a recovery console thats bootable to do a few different things...its NOT a complete operating system...

Would it be possible for you to create one with maybe sp1 intergrated in it

nope
you can try to install again after formatting the c drive but if it fails then you will have to go here and buy a install cd for your exact model..it will have all the drivers you need

Jarrod59

Jarrod59

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
OK wen i deleted the C: drive it also wiped all the data like a format. Also when i tried to format it it didnt format i manage to get up to where it asks you if you really want to format the hard drive and then it comes up with another command prompt.
I havent touched the D: drives so they are okay but they are no use with the install as well because when i installed sp2 on it it wiped the restore.log for the main recovery partition, so im stuffed there.
As what i meant with can you make me a install cd was could you make it like the rc.iso download and burn it to a disk would that be possibel or not because mine get errors when i try to load the setup files.

Edited by Jarrod59, 04 September 2009 - 02:34 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Jarrod59 do you have the original Recovery disk that came with your system?
It sounds like you are trying to use the Recovery Console to install a XP OS and this will not happen.
You have to have the recovery disk or we need to get you into the Recovery Partition on your hard drive.
If system was running why didn't you go through Microsofts Windows Update to upgrade to SP3?
What did your system come with for a OS system originally?
What happened to cause the Ntldr to become missing?

Jarrod59

Jarrod59

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi I never got a recovery disk with my computer when i brought it.
Ok with the recovery partition on the drive I upgraded to sp2 and did not realise i had to have many updates that was associated with sp2 here is the driver and software site that i could get them from: http://h10025.www1.h...;product=316844 that is the software downloads page, i did not know this at the time when i upgraded to sp2, so i thought it would bea clean upgrade to sp2. Microsoft QFE Update (KB835409) for System Restore: This update would have allowed me to redo a system restore if i had installed it.
I did not have the internet at that time and was not aware of sp3 at that time.
My original OS was Windows XP Home Edition with SP1.
When i installed sp2 it corrupted the NTLDR and a couple days on it was unoperationable.
Please help me. As i have no clue for what to do with this, i have no way of installing XP at this point and i have no OS on there as it is empty.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
After quickly scanning the posts, it looks like the only options are to try and get a recovery CD from the manufacturer or purchase an XP cd to use to install the OS.
The license you have would only work for the recovery cd because it is "married" to that computer.

Jarrod59

Jarrod59

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ok thanks for that ill try to find a xp install disk.

Jarrod59

Jarrod59

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ok thanks for that ill try to find a xp install disk.