Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

setting up a home network

• Please log in to reply

k_at

k_at

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
This is my first go at 'networking' what I have do so far is, main computer connected to modem, modem connected to router, router conected to 2nd computer, all via cable.

Main computer fine,
on the 2nd computer it is showing that there is a connection but when I try to open any webpage (eg IE) it cannot find anything , what have I missed doing ?? think it might be something to do with IP add but Im not sure exactly what I need to do, any help gratefully received.
thanks

Advertisements

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts

main computer connected to modem, modem connected to router, router conected to 2nd computer, all via cable.

Sorry, This is a little unclear. Do you mean, modem into the WAN port on the router and the two computers into the LAN ports on the router?

k_at

k_at

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
no , may be ive done this bit wrong ??

the modem is connected to pc1 via lan1, (due to phone socket positioning) we then have the modem cable-connected to the router(via lan2)(router is in another part of the house, walls too thick for wifi) then from the router via cable to pc2, Is this a bit clearer??

pc2 when I look at network connections it says connected (LAN or high speed internet)

But if I try to acces the internet it says page not found etc

??thanks

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hi,

What modem and router have you got?

You may like to take a look at This Microsoft Article

Then on the second PC click Start > Run and type in ipconfig.
Note down the settings and then do the same on PC 1. Check for any differences.

Also are you using any form of encryption? If so make sure the key is correct on both PC's

k_at

k_at

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
will check the ipconfig, modem havent got a clue it says made in china!!!! (sorta joke) !! I believe it to be realtec, and the router is a linksys.

k_at

k_at

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
on pc1 have typed run ipconfig and its flashing up a window to quick for me to get info??!!

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Ok not a problem.

This time do:
Start > Run and type in cmd

Then in the console windows that opens type in ipconfig
That should stay around.

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
Are you sure your modem isnt a router/modem integrated? the LAN 1 and LAN2 on the modem seem to indicate it is. If it is then it will have 2 more LAN ports on it and removing the second router would fix the second computers problem with connecting to the internet as it's not needed if this is true

k_at

k_at

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
there are only 2 lan on the modem, checking other info

k_at

k_at

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok the ip address is different from pc1 to pc2, so what do I do now??
thanks

k_at

k_at

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok have sussed out putting the 2pc's on the same IP address still cannot connect to IE it says http400 bad request, although pc is showing at connected and transfering data?????