Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble accessing old HDD

• Please log in to reply

dandima_nc

dandima_nc

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello,

I've changed my PC's configuration almost entirely. I've got a new and bigger HDD with XP SP2 and I am currently running it as master, while the old HDD is slave.
The problem is that I cannot access certain folders on my old hard drive, such as Documents and Settings or Windows and I have no posibility to run it as master on my present configuration, because Win XP, which I was running as operating system on it too, doesn't boot from the old HDD on my "new" computer. I forgot this "feature" of XP when I upgraded my PC and now lots of important files are still there and I cannot access them.
Do you happen to know any way to get through to them so I could use them again?

Thank you very much.

Dan

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
so the old drive works and you can access some files but not others? It may be a permissions issue. Boot into safe mode, log in with admin privileges. Go to the files, right click properties, security and give yourself ownership.

dandima_nc

dandima_nc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello and thank you for taking your time to help me

First of all I want to mention that my most important unaccessible files are stored in the desktop folder in Documents and Settings on the old HDD, under Dan folder (Dan used to be the account I had been using on it).

After booting in safe mode I opened Windows Explorer and went to Documents and Settings folder on the old hard drive. Since I got the usual error "Access is denied", I right clicked the folder and went to Properties, then Security. There are 2 "users" listed with total permissions over the folder and those are "System" and another one defined by an array of various numbers separated by "-" from time to time.
I tried to create another account with total permissions, and it asked me for a specific location I would like to have access to, so I wrote "desktop", but then I was told the location could not be found.
Please tell me what to do, and, if possibly, step by step...

Thank you again for your patience

dandima_nc

dandima_nc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thank you! I've solved my issue over your indication.