Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power/Overheating?

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Built on GPU or a addon card?
I don't remember sorry.
Being a year old on the PSU at least and is it a name brand one or off brand?
It's looking like a the PSU and\or the GPU is the problem.
I will await your response.

Advertisements

Mayko

Mayko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
The CPU is name brand Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600. The GPU is card - NVIDIA EVGA 8600 GT. The PSU is a HUSH Supply Unit not sure if that is the brand or what the brand is to be honest.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OH lordy.. OK let's try this.

Before counting out the GPU, here's a few things you can try:

Please download and install EVGA Precision from here. (Click on the Download (America) or Download (Europe) link, then scroll down and click on I Agree.)

Run EVGA Precision. On the right side, you should see Fan Speed and, beside it, an Auto button. Click the Auto button so that it is no longer selected, then change the Fan Speed to 100%. Now, go to the left side, and on the bottom, click Apply.

If that doesn't alleviate crashes, try this:

First, uninstall the NVIDIA drivers (if they are still installed) using Add or Remove Programs. You can get to Add or Remove Programs by clicking on the Start Button, then clicking on Control Panel. Then click Add or Remove Programs. Once in Add or Remove Programs, you need to find NVIDIA Drivers and click Change/Remove. (If you have an NVIDIA chipset, make sure the NVIDIA Display Driver checkbox is checked, then click Remove. Otherwise, just click Yes.)

Next, please download and install Driver Sweeper from here. (Click on the Download (Europe) link, then scroll down and click on I Agree.)

Then, boot the computer into safe mode. To do this,
  • Turn the computer on (or restart the computer if it is already on).
  • Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Boot Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
  • Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.
  • Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in safe mode.
Next, open the program, Guru3D Driver Sweeper, that you just installed. Check the checkbox for cleaning NVIDIA - Display drivers. Then press the Clean button.

Reboot normally (not into safe mode), and then, download and install the drivers found here. (I'm having you install drivers that are a little bit older but are known to have less issues than the 190.xx series drivers.)

Reboot when prompted, and let us know if you still receive the error message.

Thanks to Stettybet0 for the instructions

The PSU may be worth replacing with something like a Corsair 500. Even though it is less wattage it is more stable on the 12 volt rail.

Mayko

Mayko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
I have done these following steps, but i want to check and see if I can do much damage testing it and it overheating. This is my only real PC atm, and can't really afford to have to replace a CPU or something of that sort. Just want to check before i stress it too far. Thanks in advance.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If the cpu or fpu is overheating then yes it can become damaged.
By following the suggestion i have given you above then EBGA program should allow you to increase the fan on the gpu being it is a add on card.

Mayko

Mayko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
I loaded up Runescape ( a low end flash game) that pulls around 23-30% CPU usage on a single core. My CPU temps got up to around 56C before I closed the game. The side of the case was very warm, and I turned it off I didn't want to harm it anymore then possible. I don't believe it should be getting up to 56C on a flash game. Maybe on a game like Crysis, but not a flash game.Any ideas are appreciated thanks for all the help so far.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How many second case cooling fans are in your system?
By chance do you know what size they are?

Mayko

Mayko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
In total there are 3 fans in the PC not including the PSU fan. One on the heatsink for the CPU. One on the side across from the GPU(input), and one in the back(output). The heatsink is small ofcourse a 60mm or so? Stock heatsink. The other 2 fans are both 120mm. The motherboard temps are always low and the inside of the case is never warm. Only the CPU seems to have any issues.

Edited by Mayko, 15 September 2009 - 12:17 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmmm I'm wondering if the heatsink fan is just not powerful enough anymore.

Mayko

Mayko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Via speedfan the RPM is around 2100 constantly even when watching videos or temps are rising. The RPM on my other PCs CPU is usually around 4110.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like a good indicator of the problem.
That would make sense why the system seems to work good normally but watching a video or playing a game the system heats up.
Not sure but you might just check that cpu fan and see if it is clogged with some residue.
It could be slowing it down.

Mayko

Mayko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
I removed both side panels and checked out the dust situation and it is still clean from last time. All the fans spun smoothly via my finger. We have a large air compressor that we use to blow our PCs out. I can do it again, but I just recently did this the first time we spoke.

I was able to grab a few screenshots to show the temp differences. The computer did not crash either time. I exited the games when the case began to feel warm to the touch.
This first one is on a flash game I exited it when the outside of the case started to feel warm.
http://img40.imagesh...61/overheat.jpg

This one is from a fully 3d game that is CPU intensive. I would note in this image its hidden but the CPU0 Fan got up to 2200RPM around the time I exited the game. The faster speed was not cooling the temp down any as far as I saw.
http://img4.imagesha...wowoverheat.jpg

Edited by Mayko, 15 September 2009 - 01:45 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm just not seeing any other reason for this except for cpu or gpu.
CPU doesn't look like it really went up much, about 4 degrees.

Mayko

Mayko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
On my 8 year old PC the GPU runs around 61-65C on the same game as the 2nd picture and the Core sits around 44C. It just suddenly started crashing around 60C on the CPU on my good machine. Never had any real crashes on it until now.

Mayko

Mayko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
I started messing around on this PC again and the case got pretty warm until i popped the side off. The temps are jumping up and down pretty badly on speedfan. The CPU0 Fan stays around 2030 and the case doesn't feel very warm. This is with the side panel popped off. Would an external fan blowing directly into it be a "temporary fix" so to say until i can get a new heatsink/arctic silver 5? I haven't tried any CPU intensive games or programs, but the flash games that have been crashing it have not yet(knock on wood).

Sorry for the repost meant to edit (not very awake).

Edited by Mayko, 15 September 2009 - 04:24 PM.