Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop locked with warning "Danger..."

• Please log in to reply

Midwest64

Midwest64

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My home computer is stuck on the desktop with the following warning message replacing the normal Windows background.
Danger!!! Your computer is INFECTED!

Such infection will cause permanent loss of all information stored on your computer: documents, files, etc.

All your secret data like logins, passwords, credit card information can be accessed by third-parties for malicious purposes.

All your online activity such as sending e-mails, visiting web sites are logged and stored on your hard disk, spyware blocks the deletion of such information from your computer and makes your online actions traceable.

PROTECT YOURSELF! DELETE SPYWARE FROM YOUR COMPUTER RIGHT NOW!"

I found a message thread on this site describing the same problem. It has instructions from "Dave" at Geeks to Go! on downloading and running the GMER Rootkit Scanner and direction to report back with the log generated. Whoever started the thread must have dropped it because Dave had a follow-up post a day or two later asking if the suggestion worked.

Well, I tried the remedy suggested, downloading the .exe onto a memory stick and taking it home. Unfortunately, it didn't work. I copied it to my desktop, but it wouldn't open there. An attempt to open it from the memory stick had the same results. A small rectangular black box, like you see when a dos prompt comes up, flashes on the screen for a fraction of a second and then disappears. This is what you see when you attempt to open any program like Explorer, Outlook, or Norton. The part that has me concerned is that my normal answer of just using the Go Back feature of Norton isn't possible because whatever is on it wiped out the historic restoration points.

Let me know what you suggest.

Advertisements

Midwest64

Midwest64

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I tried the remedy suggested on another post. Didn't work. Googled the error message. Below is one of the first links that came up. Tried the remedy suggested. It worked. Problem solved.

http://www.2-spyware...-wallpaper.html