Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I display my desktop screen portrait instead of landscape?

• Please log in to reply

ohdannyboy

ohdannyboy

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Used an internet cafe recently and their computer moniters were all portrait instead of landscape, and I rather liked it!

I would like to rotate my widescreen monitor screen 90 degrees so that it is portrait instead of landscape. Does anyone know how to do this, or if it is even possible?

Thanks

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Are you sure they were portrait (that is, rotated 90°) and not just 4:3 monitors, as opposed to a 16:9 (or 16:10) widescreen monitors so many are now used to? Just making sure.

That said, there are many monitors that physically rotate 90° and depending on the drivers for your graphics card, there may be a properties option to rotate the image to match. Try right-clicking on a blank part of your desktop and select properties, the look through the options shown.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Make and Model of monitor would help also.

ohdannyboy

ohdannyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Yeah, I guess they could have been 4:3 monitors. I should have checked.

My Monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 206BW. I have tried everything I can think of to rotate it 90 degrees. There is nothing in the desktop/right click - properties menu.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I can find nothing on any spec sites that says it is a pivot capable monitor.
I have a Acer LCD V223W and it comes with Pivot software.
This may be what you need to look for.
Also depending on what video card you have it may be in the software for that to change it from Vertical to Horizontal or vice versa.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Your graphics solution (card or the motherboard's on-board graphics) would have to support it. If you don't see it under right-click > properties, then I doubt your graphics solution supports rotation. With my nVidia based XFX card, the option is available through the nVidia Control Panel. I would assume AMD/ATI based cards would have something similar.

If you are using on-board graphics, then buy a card that supports it. Not only will be able to rotate your display, but just about any card will result in improved overall computing performance as the GPU is likely better, and the card will come with it's own dedicate RAM tweak for graphics. This then allows you to disable your on-board, which will free the large chunk of your system RAM previous stolen for graphics, in effect, increasing your RAM. Do make sure your power supply can support the added demands of a new card, before installing the new card.

ohdannyboy

ohdannyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my question.

Very Helpful and Much appreciated

Daniel

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
No problem and good luck.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ditto and let us know the results as we are always interested to know good or bad.

TheWhiteRose000

TheWhiteRose000

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
If your running Vista or 7 the screen change from portrait to landscape is built right in.

Well I'm guessing on Vista but on 7 its there.

=3

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

If your running Vista or 7 the screen change from portrait to landscape is built right in.

It's not a function of the OS so they don't care. It's all about the graphics card and driver. If you see the option, it is because your graphics solution supports it.