Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen, Blinking Cursor, No OS, No Beep

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I wanted to pass some important information along to you.
Please check the following:
look in the upper left corner, above the keyboard
See if there is a button there named either "ThinkPad" or "Access IBM".
If it's there, pressing it during startup should give you access to the recovery partition.

Let me know if this works and what options it gives.

Advertisements

Mrs_needlecrafts

Mrs_needlecrafts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I was unable to get a answer to our question. I got a person who could barely speak english that told me to use the F11 key and follow the directions instead. I did purchase the disks and it will be a week before they arrive. I guess you will be willing to wait on them? I hope you will. I will let you know when they arrive. Thanks for all your help so far.

Mrs_needlecrafts

Mrs_needlecrafts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have a blue IBM button in the upper left hand corner. I pressed it and all it diid was take me to a screen that said, "Startup Interupt Menu". "Press one of the following keys to continue"
ESC to resume normal startup
F1 to enter the IBM BIOS Setup Utility
"Press Enter to pause ..."
Once you hit F1, the IBM BIOS Setup Utility screen comes up. I have already listed all that is on that page.
Thanks for still looking for an answer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I was unable to get a answer to our question. I got a person who could barely speak english that told me to use the F11 key and follow the directions instead. I did purchase the disks and it will be a week before they arrive. I guess you will be willing to wait on them? I hope you will. I will let you know when they arrive. Thanks for all your help so far.

I am here as long as you need assistance.
This topic remains open as we do not close topics in this forum.
Just send me a pm and I will hurry back. I can understand the wait and it does make more sense to have the original recovery disk just in case something like this ever happens again.

Mrs_needlecrafts

Mrs_needlecrafts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I received the recovery disks this morning and followed the directions they sent with them. It worked and the computer is back to its new state. I want to thank you for all your help. I did not know I could order recovery disks from the company. My son is back in business and I can get back to working on my stuff. Thanks for everything. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

Hello71

Hello71

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Wait a sec though... There was a recovery partition...

BM Predesktop Area:
Holds recovery image(s), HW diags, service utils.
Secure: No user or SW-Initiated changes
Normal: Change allowed: contents hidden from OS.
Disabled: Not usable. Visible and reclaimable.