Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer crashes for no reason and makes beeping noises

• Please log in to reply

helpme768

helpme768

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello everybody, I'm having a strange problem. One time a day, my computer kind-of crashes. The monitor turns off and says "No signal" and the computer makes strange beeping noises (NOT the speakers).
It usually happens between 9:00 and 14:00 - Digital time (+01 UTC or something like that, I live in Copenhagen)

One day I got a BSOD, but with NO text at all. :)

I have checked that all the cables fit correctly, and they do. 100%. My graphics card is not broken, as I can play games completely flawlessly as I did before the crashes began to occour. Now what happens before the crash, is that the current frame displayed on screen freezes, and the speakers repeat the same sound over and over. Eg. if I am listening to music with iTunes/WMP a song that goes like "I love you, la la la la" will stutter like "I lololololololololololololololo.....". (LOL).

Then the screen goes black, and the computer says "beeeeep beep beep beep beep". 1 'long' beep, and then 4 'short' beeps. It keeps doing that, until I turn the PC off, and the power too. I wait 5 min. and restart, and then the computer works 100% the rest of the day. Next day, it does that thing again.

I think I know what the problem could be; I have been annoyed by the Vista LiveUpdate thingy, that usually every 2. weeks forces me to choose to install new updates, or the pc will re-boot in 4 min and 30 secs.
I then used commando prompt to stop it by typing NET STOP "WINDOWS UPDATE", and it works. The update thingy goes away. But what could be the problem? I have scanned my computer with the Kaspersky Online Scanner. No Viruses. Will it go away if I simply install all the updates?

Anyone who has ideas about what's wrong?

Thanks to anyone who can help me, as this is really pissing me off.

Hijackthis LOG Removed - Please don't post HJT logs outside of the malware forum.

Edited by Ryan, 03 September 2009 - 07:04 PM.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
Since this happens at the same time every day it most likely has something to do with a scheduled task.
I see that you have, the worthless, norton anti-virus. Is it scheduled to do a scan at the time that this issue occurs?
I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

helpme768

helpme768

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Actually I don't have Norton anymore. I have removed it LONG time ago. I don't have any idea why it says it's running, as the folder "Norton Internet Security" doesn't exists in "C:\Program Files\".

helpme768

helpme768

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Problem solved. I installed the updates, and now it works completely fine. Please close this thread :)

KatrinaC

KatrinaC

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My home was flooded in recent hurricane, but i unplugged the computer and put it up high before we left. We are still not in the home but i am in my garage trying to re-connect my computer. All it does is have a black screen on the monitor, and the computer itself constantly beeps until I unplug it. What is the problem with my computer?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Might be the memory has dislodged when you moved it or the video if it is a add on card.