Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New build won't boot

• Please log in to reply

reisors

reisors

• Pip
  • 3 posts
a system i just recently built won't boot up. Asus M2A-VM AM2 socket mobo with onboard sound and video, 2 x 1024 Corsair PC 6400 DDR2, WD 160gb sata HDD, Sony sata DVD burner, AMD 4400 64 x 2, 2.3 ghz cpu. 3 1/2" floppy. i built the system, loaded Windows XP pro and several other softwares. no issues at all, no error messages, no locking up. turned the system off and on several times over the course of a few days. shipped it to my stepdaughter and it won't boot up. no beeps and nothing on here monitor, not even a blinking cursor. i have tried everything and i can think of. i have disconnected everything from the mobo up to and including the HDD. tried removing both memory sticks and still no beeps. the 5v led on the mobo is lit and my case fan, cpu fan and psu fan are all running. the cpu temp. never got above 34c. My question is, how do i figure out if it's the cpu or the mobo? i don't know what else it could possibly be.
thanks

Advertisements

jjawm

jjawm

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
My experience has been no beeps means bad mobo, if you have disconnected processor & ram didn't get a beep means the mobo's not seeing it, if you could try the ram and/or processor in another mobo that would check them. Sounds like that it might have been dropped in shipment, have had that happen too, jja

Just thought of something...check to see if the bios chip is seated well, looks like an eprom, sounds like you may know what that is.

Edited by jjawm, 03 September 2009 - 03:28 PM.

reisors

reisors

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ok, thanks jjawn.
i'll give it a try.
looks like i'll be buying a mobo
reisors

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you sure your system speaker is connected to the MOBO?
Were you getting a single beep normally when you started your system?

reisors

reisors

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
yeah, i was getting a single beep before i shipped it.
the speaker was one of the first things i checked. but there's no signal to the monitor either.
thanks rshaffer61

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then I would have to say the diagnosis of a faulty MOBO is right on.