Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Won't Power Up!

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
My 21 year old step-son recently moved out of the house into his own apartment and took the computer he's been using for the past four years with him (a Compaq Presario). The computer was working fine during the time he lived at home. Once he moved it over to his apartment and plugged it in, zippo, nada, boink. The thing won't power up at all. He brought it back over to me (LOL) hoping I could figure out what was wrong with it.
So, after I got the power cord plugged into the back of the PSU and then plugged the other end into the wall socket (a live wall socket no less), I pushed the power-on button on the front panel of the computer and absolutely nothing happens. No lights, no sounds, no nothing. I had pulled the side cover off so I could look inside as I tried to power it up. This thing is just as quiet and dark as a tomb.
I did make sure he didn't accidentally switch the voltage on the back of the power supply. All connections look good as far as I can tell (no obvious loose wiring or dangling connections that should be plugged in).
One thing to note, when I plug the PSU into the wall outlet there is a green light on the back of the PSU that begins flashing.
I did scold him for never, ever opening up his computer and cleaning out the dust. When I did it this afternoon it was the most unbelievable sight. Everything was caked. I cleaned it out really well. All fans; PSU, case, and CPU, seem to spin fine without any difficulty.
So, bad PSU? Bad power-on switch?
Ideas, thoughts, revelations, instructions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Based on the description I am hedging on it being a PSU.
There should be a fan on the PSU, is it spinning?

You can pick up a PSU almost anywhere, unless it is a specific type fro a unit like a Dell.

Can you borrow a PSU to test with?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is there a separate switch on the back of the PSU?

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Based on the description I am hedging on it being a PSU.
There should be a fan on the PSU, is it spinning?

You can pick up a PSU almost anywhere, unless it is a specific type fro a unit like a Dell.

Can you borrow a PSU to test with?

The PSU fan does not spin when I push the power-on button. It spins when I spray compressed air on it though. I do have an extra PSU that is in good condition. Sounds like I should install it and see if it works.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Is there a separate switch on the back of the PSU?

The only switch I see on the back of the PSU is the voltage switch. Nothing else.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Aha!!!!! Threw in the extra PSU I had laying around and problem fixed. Sweet! It's so nice to have an easy fix for a change, LOL!

Thanks to all who responded. I appreciate your attention.

Greg

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The fan will always spin when you move it with air or spin it by hand, unless the bearings are really worn and then it will wobble.

Glad to see you got it fixed.

DeanS.

DeanS.

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I am having a similar issue with a computer of mine. It will power up intermitantly. If I unplug it and move it after it's been on it won't power up. If it sits unplugged overnight, and I try to plug it in it powers up and works just fine, and if it is just leave it alone it powers up fine. I've opened the case and all the power connections are fully connected. I'm at a bit of a loss. I'm wondering if it's something in the PSU, or something somewhere else.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: DeanS.

Please start your own topic as this one has not had a reply since September of last year.
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Thank you for your cooperation.

Edited by rshaffer61, 18 March 2010 - 10:37 AM.

DeanS.

DeanS.

• Pip
  • 9 posts
OK, new topic started.